Sleep Positions

artsystacey

Soo, I have accidentally fallen asleep with one of my arms overhead a few times in the past. Every single time this happens I get a huge adrenaline surge while sleeping and a racing heart and being drenched in sweat. Was wondering if anyone else experienced something similar? Also, every night I need to toss and turn at just the right angle so I can't feel my heart fluttering in my chest when sleeping. If it gets really bad I down a bunch of water and put my feet up and that seems to to the trick.

Anyone have any sleep tricks they care to share? Would love to hear your experiences.

I hate the heart felt flutter. My wife gets upset cause I'm moving around to much trying to find that quiet spot inside. I also use water to calm things down. I've noticed that for me that consecutive days of weight lifting and lots of iron get rid of that nightly burning awakening and calms the most heard in my chest. Unfortunately I only get a chance maybe twice a week to lift weights. I would also like to hear if there is anymore ways to help this.

Interesting the arms thing, I often sleep with one arm under the pillow- another pillow also over my head with the other arm over the top pillow. Sometimes I have circulation/numbness & arm tingling issues with this but I will have to think/see if palpitations and racing may be related. (I got into that odd pillow habit in college to drown out dorm noise and now many years later a difficult habit to break...)

Sleep... that elusive prize I often chased to no avail. I'm not sure I have answers... ( sometimes my PM Zanax will help me fall asleep but does not help me stay asleep all night... I recently started Florinef that appears to be lowering my heart rate and MAY be helping with the sleep wakes... fewer nights of waking every hour, we'll see if this is really a pattern....)

I often wake to a racing heart or just randomly. I often wake at 2:oo/3:00 and will be awake for the day. What has worked for me: Instead of causing further stress and worrying about how little sleep I am getting and how difficult it will be facing the day, I just accept it and go with it. I stopped fighting the laying in bed for hours attempting to sleep as I once did. I just sit up/get up and do things. I know this may not be a solution for everyone. I don't have young kids/babies but I do face twenty-some children in my day job.

Though everything I have ever read on insomnia in the past and have thought I knew was to stay on a schedule and try to go to sleep and wake at the same time approximately every day. Lately, I am going with what my body tells me and if my heart rate is low enough and I feel like I am drowsy, I try to sleep even if it is 7pm. Sometimes I am able to sleep 5 hours straight and maybe even go back to sleep for more which is amazing for me.

I guess maybe water may help me too. I have been trying to sleep with a big smart water bottle next to me and often wake to wanting or needing that too.

I've often had that awareness of heartbeat thing. Sometimes its more noticeable than other times. I always thought it was related to another condition I had but now when my heart rate is up its super-annoying. Calming music can be distracting & helpful.

:rolleyes: Tricks, I have just one....

Soo, I have accidentally fallen asleep with one of my arms overhead a few times in the past. Every single time this happens I get a huge adrenaline surge while sleeping and a racing heart and being drenched in sweat. Was wondering if anyone else experienced something similar? Also, every night I need to toss and turn at just the right angle so I can't feel my heart fluttering in my chest when sleeping. If it gets really bad I down a bunch of water and put my feet up and that seems to to the trick.

Anyone have any sleep tricks they care to share? Would love to hear your experiences.

I lay on my right side so I can not feel my heart pounding against my mattress and use a huge body pillow that goes between my knees and arms,somehow it helps my hips and pooling blood and keeps my arms at the right height and it is good for snuggling too.... :D

:rolleyes: Tricks, I have just one....

I lay on my right side so I can not feel my heart pounding against my mattress and use a huge body pillow that goes between my knees and arms,somehow it helps my hips and pooling blood and keeps my arms at the right height and it is good for snuggling too.... :D

Thanks, I'll try it.

• 1 year later...

Ugh, sleep............I used to look forward to sleep but it poses such problems lately.  I was a stomach sleeper but then when I became symptomatic I could no longer sleep on my stomach due to TREMENDOUS pressure in my head, swishing noises in my ears, etc.  I tried lying on my back but that made me feel pretty horrible (after testing I was told this is a no-no form).  That left side sleeping.  I have full body pillows set up to help prevent me from rolling over onto my stomach and it helps my legs not cramp up so much.  Now I noticed a few weeks ago that I can no longer sleep on my left side.  If I do, within a couple of minutes I will get an increase in heartbeat and feel skipped beats.  I am forced to sleep on my right and it isn't very relaxing to stay in that position all night.  I tried every different type of pillow combination but still wake up with my arms and hands very numb.  I haven't had time to research this yet but I'm wondering why I can only tolerate to sleep on my right side - anyone have any insights?

By the way, artsystacey, are you still havint issues?  Have you ever tried putting the head of your bed on risers? 

Right side sleeping has always helped me

Question....Anyone go to get checked for sleep study-this not only checks for sleep apnea but restless legs as well.  And with POTS and the autonomic system, there is a type of apnea that is called "central" sleep apnea related to central nervous system and not all all because of short neck or overweight and other reason "usually" assumed by apnea.

I tested positive for sleep apnea-but I have my Dad's short neck and with a slight weight problem I have a double chin which all can cause the apnea....Once you get used to it_ - IT IS AMAZING !!!! I sleep soundly for 4-6 hours before my bladder wakes me, and then back to sleep for 4 or more hours, and no restless legs either.

Just a thought

• 2 years later...

I am also sleeping in the right side and sleeping at this side  solves a lot of  problems. I was also facing this similar issue, i couldn't sleep well, well doc advised me to change my mattress, After using memory mattress I relief from this issue. I am really very happy to use it because now I sleep well. I recommend you to once check there, I hope you will also sleep well after change your mattress.