How Do I Know If I Have Abdominal Pooling?

Nymph

I know I have pooling in my hands and feet because they turn purple. How do I know if blood is pooling in my abdomen?

Compression hose have helped me a lot. I wonder if abdominal compression would add anything? If so, are corsets or tummy-control panties more effective?

Thanks!

Hello Nymph,

For myself I feel and appear to be very distended in my upper abdomen. So much so that my lungs feel compressed at times and I feel extremely short of breath. I wear a Gabriella abdominal binder most all of the time. I don't know what I would do without it as it is incredibly helpful. I still get potsy and very sob at times but not as bad as I did without the binder. Before I really understood what was going on I would apply pressure with my hands/arms to my upper abdomen when I was upright which was comforting but I didn't know why applying manual pressure helped so much until some time later. I also found compression hose to be extremely helpful but had to stop wearing them as they aggravated my burning skin problem. A search for abdominal compression/binders should bring up a lot of past posts on this topic as it's been brought up in the past. In fact it was at a members recommendation quite a while back that I decided to try an abdominal binder and have been very grateful to her ever since.

Janet

It's definitely worth trying otherwise you will always be left wondering whether or not you had exhausted all possible avenues of treatment.

I rigged my own abdominal compression today out of an ACE bandage. I am impressed! It was a crazy day at work and I had to be on my feet much more than usual. I was also standing out in the heat for a while with the kids. I have not felt lightheaded at all today, and my feet did not swell as much, either. I did order a binder, too, so when that comes I'll try it out. The ACE bandage is very comfortable, though. It did not make me hot at all. I may just keep using it to save $.

That's great that abdominal compression helped you so much !

I have good days and bad days, but have been having semi-bad to bad days for over a week, so I think it really helped. Also, I took it off after work because I wanted to lie down on the couch for awhile. I definitely felt the difference when I got up again.

I don't know if this will help but my neurologist said that if I couldn't handle the full compression tights, I can wear the thigh high compression tights and then wear Spanx all the way up to my rib cage. This has helped me a lot. This is not a commercial for Spanx however. Lol!

I have always wondered something and this thread seems appropriate to ask my question. Hope you don't mind nymph

I know its common for a lot of us dysautonomia and pots patients to get full rather quickly and feel extremely bloated after even digesting the smallest of meals. Does anyone have any input if they think abdominal pooling could be related to this?

Thanks! and nymph -- way to go on the homemade binder! I wish you continued success with it!

I think so, Sarah. When I have a lot of pooling it feels like bloating and my appetite is decreased.

Unfortunately, after I had only worn my homemade binder for a couple of days, I had to take it off due to upper abdominal/mid-back pain, nausea, and headache. This is fairly unusual for me, and I'm not sure if I caught a bug from a student during the last week of school, or what this is. It is taking its time working its way out and I have been on a very restricted diet for several days. I am hoping that it will resolve soon and I can back to wearing my ACE-Brace. :P

It seems to be related for me. I don't know if the pooling is what causes the full feeling, but, it definitely causes the bloating and generally unwell feeling after I eat sometimes. It not all of the time. Sometimes I think it has to do with how I'm sitting when I eat. When I eat dinner at my mom's, it almost always happens. The chairs at her table are very upright and my legs go straight down from the knee to the floor. At my house I generally eat on my couch a lille more reclined and I often put my legs up. It really seems to make a difference.