What Tips, Tricks, Apps, Programs And So Forth Help You Manage Your Symptoms?

Hi All,

Summer humidity is currently kicking my rearend. I'm struggling to keep up with what I need to be doing. I am looking at using some of the apps/programs I have to help me remember things, track my medicines, food, water and symptoms.

For instance:

I have an android phone.

I use an app to remind me to take my pills three times a day. I also use a pill box to make sure I am actually TAKING the pills. I can see that my morning pills for today are still in the box, so I need to take them! The current app I am using is called Medisafe

I began to see a change in my migraine frequency when the doctor's tweaked medicines. I downloaded an app called Migraine Buddy. I tell it when I start a migraine, then once the migraine is over I give the app more information. I actually didn't realize there was a period of 5 weeks when I didn't have a single migraine until the app reminded me. This sort of drill down information helps me find commonalities. Amazing!

I am trying to use food to help me give my body the best energy possible. That doesn't mean I don't have days when I ask the family if they want to pull through Chick fil A because their food is flipping delicious. :)

I am currently using Lose It to track every single thing I put in my body. Basically, Lose it tells me I am mess LOL, but sometimes the growth you do is accepting being where you are. So, I track my water, blood pressure and food in the app. I can drink 64 oz of water easy. 100 oz is harder. I need to see where I am in my liquid threshold for a day. I also love that the app tracks nutrients. I had no idea how much of my diet was filled with carbs. I also am not always eating enough protein. I like info, so I find this helpful. I've also managed to lose 20 pounds just eating healthier foods. Who knew?

I am having trouble remembering things. I forget to return phone calls, refill medicines, schedule tests, and so forth. I think I am getting overwhelmed by all the stuff going on right now, but whatever it is, I need a spare brain. My hands have been giving issues, so using my phone to set reminders in my calendar has been troublesome. I've been using the "ok google" functionality to voice command things. For instance, I needed to pick up my refills the other day. I remembered while I was eating breakfast. I picked up my phone, said "ok, goggle" remind me to pick up my pills at 1pm. Google puts a reminder in my email, and gives me an alarm when it's time for the task to happen. This isn't foolproof, but even a 50% increase in efficiency is a major win right now.

So, I am looking for your input and suggestions. What's helping you navigate this messy dysautonomia? What tips and tricks do you have in your arsenal?

Looking forward to learning from all of you!

-K

For the ladies out there I use period tracker. KKB, I am testing out a MigraineApp for a company right now with my local migraine group. You are right, it is very surprising the information that suddenly pops up! The other day it notified me that apples and cheese that I had added to my diet regimen were possibly a trigger for me

Those are all great ideas KKB and Bigsky!

i have a old phone no apps or alarms etc...just a lot of sticky notes...LOL i have tried to use the new phones but i cant remember how to use the thing even after being shown several times.. way over my head and memory capabilities unfortunately my memory fog is horrible ..i wish my brain would work gets depressing :(

I use a headache app called Headache pro by froggy ware. It doesn't sound as sophisticated as the ones you all have mentioned above.

I send myself emails since I check it often. I only keep emails that I have to take action on in my inbox. When I complete the task involved with the email, I either delete or move it to a different folder if I may need to reference it later, such as a bill invoice. I had actually made a habit of this while I was working but it has been helpful with this illness. I use email since other people send invoices, bills, auto payment info, documents, etc.. This way, I can keep my "to do" list basically in one place and not have it scattered by having some emails, some reminders in calendar, some pile of paper somewhere, etc.. As part of management training I went through, we had a professional that trains people how to be organized and efficient come in and they said that you should pick which method works for you and put all to do's in that method, not have several different methods of tracking to do's.

I do keep a written pocket calendar of all doctor appointments, medical visits, diagnostics, etc.. I had used my phone for this but when my phone died and we couldn't retrieve the information, I had to call each doctor to get my next appt info.. Plus this allows me some back up documentation for my medical expenses that I write off on my taxes.

I also created a spreadsheet to keep track of my medical information. I keep an up to date copy in my purse for emergencies and reference and I can print a copy any time I need to provide it to a doctor. It has a tab for each of the following: current meds/discontinued meds and why/allergies, medical history, surgical history, current symptoms, family history, current and past docs with their contact info. This took a little work at the beginning but takes usually less than 5 minutes to update and print. It has saved me a ton of work and explaining with docs, technicians, nurses and on days like today, when my brain fog is bad, it helps me fill out paperwork at doctor's appt. Some docs will even just take a copy of my spreadsheet and skip all the handwriting. I've found that admitting nurses at the hospital think it's the bee's knees. I used the header and footer functions to put my name and birth date on each page.

I keep a reusable shopping bag at the top and bottom of my stair cases so I put things in it that have to go up or downstairs so I don't forget something and have to make a separate trip up the stairs. When I think of it I drop it in the bag. Then I have to just grab the bag (I will admit this is imperfect as I have been known to forget the bag! Lol!)

I'm sure there are ether things but my brain is fading quickly.

Katie

Oh ya'll always have such wonderful ideas.

I was having a hard time wondering if I was getting too much salt or not enough. I think Lose it might keep track of it in the nutrient section. I will have to go check it out!!! (I did a facepalm when i read the post btw)

Sticky notes are fabulous. I like them so much I have them in different colors and sizes.

I am amazed at the sophistication on the migraine apps. And the more info you can give, the better you can drill down on triggers and such.

Oh my goodness, the bags on the stairs. This is so smart. I am limited right now on stair trips, so I have kicked myself a few times when I realized what I went down for, I forgot...for the third time. I am going to put these out tonight!!!

I should email myself. I am not sure why this has never occurred to me. Sheesh LOL I love all kinds of tech gadgets, so sometimes the obvious and simpler low tech solutions never make it into my brain :D

Fabulous ideas. Thank you so much for sharing! Keep them coming as you think of them.

-K

I have a migraine app called my migraine triggers i think that is what it was called. also my fitness pal is a good app. and choosemyplate.gov is a good website. I have a fitbit charge hr to track my hr as well as my calories and steps and how far i walk. Also some good foods for energy are eggs, apples and peanut butter, pretzels for salt, and bananas are good to help me sleep :).

I use a written family calendar to know where everyone is. Everything is on it, everyones sports, when my boys are home late, all kind of appointments, what is for dinner, you name it. I also use it as a "what to do today" calendar for special things like buying birthday cards, presents etc. I don't want to keep it in my phone as I would be in huge trouble when it would get lost or died like Katie mentions!

I've been using an app called FibroMap to track medications, symptoms, pain, sleep etc.

There is also a site called HealClick which allows you to set up tracking for your meds and symptoms. It also allows you to include data on your activities, weather or anything else you think you might want to track. It has a way to analyze that data and show correlations between things as well.

I use my Fitbit alarms to remind me to take meds and several pill boxes. I used MyFitnessPal for awhile.

Have all kinds of notes everywhere to remind me about things but then I forget to look at my notes. Ugh!! :unsure:

After awhile though, I got tired of spending so much of my time tracking my life. I just want to LIVE it for a change. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a small one, but...

My washer/dryer is in my basement. That means 2 flights of steps for laundry transport. I got a laundry bag that has straps to put over your shoulder, like a purse. I was having such a terrible time carrying a laundry basket out in front of me up the steps. The bag makes it so much easier to carry my clean laundry upstairs.