Carnitine

mgr268

I was told that I have low Carnitine levels and this could be causing fatigue. Have any of you been told that you are deficient in Carnitine? If so what do you use to supplement? The prescription Carnitine that was called in was huge and their is no way to swallow them. I am deficient in a lot of vitamins due to GI problems.

I have a Carnitine deficiency, and hypersomnia. I was diagnosed by a sleep therapist at Emory, Dr. David Rye. He is doing research to determine if the deficiency is due to genetics. He has me taking an over the counter acetyl-L-carnitine supplement, which I bought at a chain grocery store similar to Whole Foods.

I am taking acetyl-L Carnitine, Carnitall and L-Carnitine Fumurate. They are all over the counter or available on line (cheaper). I don't take all of them every day, but they do seem to help.

• 5 months later...

POTS cardio recognized possible Mitochondrial Cytopathy. Recommended consult.

Mitochondria Disease-focused Neurologist diagnosed me with Mitochondria Myopathy - Carnitine Deficiency.

I began with Carnitor (L-carnitine) tablets and had GI reaction.

I was switched to liquid Carnitor and GI reaction resolved.

I am benefiting from the Carnitor (improved burning of muscles with exertion, improved stamina).

He just added acetyl-L carnintine OTC. That form helps brain function as it was explained to me.