Tension Headaches

Parages

How long do you find your tension headaches last? I'm going on day 3 of the back of my head and neck feeling tight on the right side, not sure how long is "too long" before I should see a doctor, I'm just so burnt out from all the doctor visits since I've been diagnosed . My ears are popping as well when I swallow, not sure if related to the headache or sinus.

Any at home remedies for relaxing the muscles when experiencing these headaches? I try to avoid medications when possible.

Hi. I don't have tension headaches but I've had migraines last up to 12 days.

Chamomile tea with honey helps relax. I also have knots that develop at the base of my skull with migraine. My chiropractor taught me to take a tennis ball (although any firm ball approximately that size, including and apple will do) and sit in a high backed chair. Put the tennis ball in the area that is tense on the neck or upper back and lean back on the chair. Then gently move around to let the ball massage the area. Also, using a roll of paper towels or a regular towel rolled to about the size of a roll of paper towels put behind your neck while in the car or a high backed chair can take quite a bit of pressure off of the neck muscles (it's the same concept as a lumbar pillow except for your neck.)

i've had a tension headache last for more than three weeks because my sternal wires were making it impossible to stretch and move certain muscles in my neck and shoulders and when you don't use something it's gets stiff and tense. My mother had a tension headache for almost 2 years over 20 years ago before they figured out what it was. my doctor referred me to a physical therapist because he says any tension headache that is lasting for any amount of time usually means there are some muscle knots and spasms in the neck that need to be manually worked out and can't just be fixed with painkillers or muscle relaxers.

as far as home remedies go-- stretch, exercise, YOGA. i've been finding these yoga stretches helpful lately: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaPRFm3EZWY and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6MwJhCA_x4&list=WL&index=30 My tension headache has come back since i can't move the muscles since my surgery removing my my sternal wires. good luck!

I have tension headaches most days too. I find some relief in applying neck physio cream or hot water bottles or wheat bags around neck. But they never go away really. I see a physio when I need to.