Home, but as always, must pay the piper

Hi all. The trip was great, I think we did a great job with our presentation. There were several of us presenting related issues within the same sypmosium. I also managed to hang out with my friends for a day of window shopping on the "magnificent mile". They were very sensitive to my need to pace myself and stop for breaks.

I overdid it on Sunday by going to a piano club with my friends, and that night, my ear started to bother me... but I tried to ignore it and keep going. It itched all day Monday, and it ached a bit yesterday on the flight back home. By the time I pulled my car into the driveway, I was like the "lion with a thorn in his paw", except it was in my ear. I felt so guilty to arrive home from a week away so mean and grumpy.

I know I'm I'm paying now for overextending myself on Sunday with a big, nasty ear infection. I haven't had to use antibiotic ear drops since I was a child! I'm also on a short course of diuretics to take the swelling down so my ear can drain and heal. Never fails that I travel and get ill within several days. You know what? I still had a great time...and I'd probably do it again! We all took pictures and I can relive the fun by looking at all the photos. :)

:) I did manage to avoid the ERs in Chicago and hold out to see my internist here at home first thing this morning. Bless her heart for squeezing me in and pulling the thorn out of my ear (well, almost, it still hurts quite a bit). So now only 2 of 3 conference trips to Chicago ended in an ER visit :)

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my POTS symptoms are totally out of whack right now. My HR is up and down, my BP is down...and mostly down. I'm so tired, but can't seem to sleep (Em, I know you're in that boat too).

Hope I can hear properly out of my right ear again in the morning :) Need to feel better for my upper endoscopy on Friday morning. :) well, at least I'll get a few minutes of sleep during the procedure. ;) Nina

Edited by MightyMouse

Steph, yeah, I freely admit to being a bit crazy. The only good thing is that I work a teacher's schedule, so I'm off from work during that time period, so school will be my only committment (uh, other than a mental committment :) )

Yes, I always get ill shortly after flying. I often get a migraine the evening after flying--which I think is because my sleep and eating schedules are typically disrupted. In general, my whole routine is disrupted. I don't sleep well while travelling as I'm very much a creature of habit when it comes to sleeping. The combo of stress and nonrefreshing sleep usually ends up with a sinus infection.

I've had mild ear infections in the past, but these are usually in tandem with a really bad sinus problem--and have been always picked up by my doctor before I was in any distress. The strange thing was, this infection seems to have started from the outer ear inward. Monday night, it stared "weeping" fluid and felt hot and itchy. I was driving home from the airport on Tuesday, and it was like someone turned up the pain volume...I guess it was the adjustment to the change in airpressure that set off the pain. The whole area aches, including my cheek, neck and back of my head. I'd forgotten what an ear infection feels like... guess I needed a reminder?

I've also had problems with GI issues during or after travelling--again, disrupting my eating times and typical food choices don't go over well with my body.

I sure empathize with the problems encountered travelling for work. That's part of why I had to change jobs a few years ago. I would have killed me. I got sicker and sicker as my travel schedule stayed the same--flying every 6 to 8 weeks, and long driving trips to Maryland every 3 weeks, with a week long stay each time. Then there was the daily driving... ugh. I do NOT miss any of that.

Nina, who knows she's got a touch of the crazies.

It's so strange how many adults I know have gotten ear infections this year. What is the deal? My friend who is 52 said when he went in to get treated, the doc told him most of the ear infections he diagnoses are in 8-year-olds.

Hope you're on the road to recovery and glad you got to see a little of the city, at least. Chicago's a great place.

Amy

Ugh. Only made it through three hours of work before I had to leave for the day. Combo of ANS symtpoms and ear have me wiped out. Called and left a message for my doctor that my ear drops aren't doing the job. Nap time until the phone rings...

Nina

Guest Mary from OH

Nina,

Sorry you got sick again, but glad you managed to stay out of ER in Chicago!! I consider that a small victory!! LOL! :)

BTW. Your ear infection and migraine are because of the barometric pressure change from flying. Sorry, it's almost inevitible. However, my allergist had my use Afrin nasal spray last time I flew because of the same troubles. I had to use it ON TOP of my regular allergy and migraine treatments. Even though you are double dosing (not sure if you're taking allergy meds too, but I do - tablets and nasal spray), it's just for lift-off and landing both ways, so it isn't a problem. He had me do 2 sprays in each nostril (I think) 30 minutes prior to take-off and landing. You'd have to check with the pharmacist on how long it takes to take effect. If it's a short flight and it's still effective, you may not have to redo the 2nd dose. It really did help me.

If I'm just not making any sense whatsoever, let me know. Hope you feel better soon.

PS - You might have ruptured your eardrum. It happens a lot on planes.

Guest Julia59

Nina,

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, but sorry to hear that it ended with your POTS crash and an ear infection. Ear infections are so painful------ugggg.

I hope you snap back to your normal quickly. What I mean by your normal---is some assemblance of functioning.

I noticed dieuritcs helped my ears feel better, and it lessened my headache. But I couldn't tolerate the topamax---the smallest adult dose. Now the ear pain is back, but I don't think it's an infection. Dr. B told me it comes with the upper cervicalspine/chiari related issues. however, I have never had it checked out by an ENT. For some reason mastoiditis was mentioned on my MRI, but my PCP said it was probably nothing.

I don't know, because I feel so fluish, and my POTs is so bad now.

Anyway, I'm sorry to go on about myself, but your ear pain reminded about my continuous on and off ear pain/fullness. Today it's bad---so that is probably why the ramble.

I hope you don't have to pay the piper too much this time. Sleep, sleep, sleep as much as your schedule allows. Your engine just need to idle slow now---your running low on gas------------ :)

Hang in there--------wishing you luck for a quick recovery.

Julie :0)

Thanks all, I'm starting to feel a little better today with my ear. I had my upper endoscopy this morning and slept off the anesthesia all afternoon. Same old, same old with my guts--irritated, and lots of gastritis despite nexium twice a day. Hey, at least it's not worse, yes?

Off to eat a little something as I'm now starving :o Nina

hey nina,

i'm a bit late to chime in here...but wanted to say hi!!!!

i hope you can sleep, sleep, sleep...yup, that is my problem, tired but can't sleep.

i told my dr. that at least this way i was keeping up with world events b/c i listen to the BBC world news all night long when i can't sleep!

it's hard to have such a great time and then pay such a price later...it feel great to be able to do something like you did, but it's so hard to come home to the crash!

ugh!

my turn for a snack now...

em

Thanks everyone. My ear is so much better today. :) Now I just need to keep getting enough sleep to get my ANS to calm down.

I took care of my 4 month old nephew overnight last night and he had a tough evening... woke up every 20 to 40 minutes. I think he's teething. Poor little guy. Thank goodness after I passed him back to my sister today, I was able to take a nice nap. No matter how much I keep wishing I had kids, it's always good to have a reality check--kudos to those of you who manage to have kids in your life.

As some have said, I do have an active life, all things considered...but I have had to give up a few things, such as a family.

Nina

hey nina,

sleep, what's that???? :)

that is the first time i knew that you wanted to have a family...it made me just want to send you a special hug for that sadness that you have.

some days i think there is hope still, that i still have time...but given the fact that i cannot even take care of myself or live independently, the reality is sinking in more and more that it won't be possible...

i do marvel at the mom's with pots on this site!

i'm not making much sense...but i wanted to say hi and send you a hug b/c i know there is always that little pang there no matter how 'full' the rest of your life is...

em

Oh thanks Emily, for the very kind words.

Yes, I do/did want a family, but I haven't spoken much about it on the forum in the past year or two-- Since I turned 40, it's become a less likely reality. We've talked about adoption also and that's a more likely option. We'll see. Right now, I have to focus on finishing school, and then we'll see what is possible.

Sweet dreams! Nina

oh good nina...you were able to take my words the way that i meant them...

i want so much to adopt...so the good thing about that is not having to worry as much about the 'clock ticking'...maybe merrill can be our guide and inspiration through this! um, one thing...need to find me um a man/life partner...i'm not ready to go it alone raising a kid right now! :) so, we'll start with that when i start to feel better!

i hope that you will be able to make your dream a reality...when you're ready to talk about it and need support...check in with us! k? until then, we'll help you get through school! :rolleyes:

em

Emily and Nina,

It's amazing how despite the POTS, my desire to take care of my child and help her achieve maximum happiness and enjoyment in life overpowers all. I never thought I'd be here today when I was diagnosed more than a year ago, but I am. And I am somehow getting stronger. If having a child (adopted or biological or foster) is something you want, don't give up on those hopes. We only get one shot at this lifetime. Make it how you want it. It WILL work out, with probably a lot of headaches, POTS days, etc., etc., but you won't care because you'll have raised a confident, amazing child who will have all the opportunities you wished you had yourself.

Amy