Tattoo W/ A Meaning

SarahA33

Hi all,

just wanted to some suggestions from all of you..

I was thinking of a getting my first tattoo (no tat's, no piecing's, etc), expect this is going to be really symbolic.

I thought who better to ask than to all of you for some ideas as to what I should get written. The spot chosen is the bottom of my wrist in cursive writing.

Please help with any ideas you all may have! I need your insight, and I value your opinions a lot!

Thanks, Sarah

My doctor is pretty sure I have pots but no diagnosis yet. I've got five tattoos and loved all of them but never had a problem except with my last where I just got dizzy. What about something that incorporates the spoon theory? You could probably find a cure spoon design and choose a meaningful word to you to go above it?

My very first tattoo was my right shoulder, it's a pink ribbon with the word "life" underneath it. I got it out of my passion for fundraising for breast cancer research, and something one of my patients said to me when I worked in the hospital. She said one time after I finsihed drawing her blood, that she just had to embrace her battle and that this was her life now. That struck me so odd, but I loved it. It's the same with us in a sense that being potsy's is our life in a lot of ways. I've fought against this label for a long time, but am now just going "it's part of me." It's not the only thing that defines me, not by a long shot, but it is indeed part of me, and I embrace it for my life.

I've thought about getting a tattoo to symbolize how my life is now. I have another one on my opposite shoulder that is in memory of my brother (guitar with butterfly, his name underneath), and then my little ribbon one, so I'm not sure where I would put this one, but I've thought of designs based off of a spoon with a dysautonomia teal ribbon around it, with the words "bend, don't break" somehow around it, because that's a phrase used a lot with me, and not just from my EDS standpoint. I've bent my life around my conditions but they haven't totally broken me yet. It's my little catchphrase to keep going. So I can't do something like I used to, I have to bend my will a little bit, but I don't have to break from my passions.

I'm afraid with how sensitive my skin is, I couldn't tolerate another tattoo. When I got my current two, it just felt like scratching, but after totally melting apart during my QSART, I'm not sure I could tolerate it. Little things send my body into overdrive now.

Bec, I loved your idea!!!

Im sorry you don't think you can handle another one. I think that may be what Katie is talking about.

Lets get through your surgery and take it one step at a time a time after that? Everything will be okay, don't you worry,. You've got a ton of support on here and we're all rooting for you!

I think a meaningful tattoo is a great idea.

The 'spoon' ideas are great and very symbolic. Becia - I love your idea, too. If you can't get the tattoo, it might also be nice to have it done up (draw it, graphic design - computer generated and print it, paint it, use clay to sculpt it - the craft kind that you bake, etc) and put it somewhere you can see it everyday.

Sarah:

Without a doubt when I think of this group, I think of strength and courage. You have courage for so many things you deal with everyday. You have courage when you smile amidst all of the chaos and uncertainty about what is going on with your body. You have courage every time you agree to see a new doctor - hoping that they will be able to help you, but knowing that maybe they won't. You have courage when your body doesn't let you do the things you really want to do. You have courage when you put yourself 'out there' to help others in their journey. The list goes on and on - but I feel like I have too, so I'll stop there :). A word like courage also has the added benefit of 'giving' you courage in the moments that you need it. It's not original, but it's powerful.

I think you should definitely find a word or words that speak to you or inspire you. Some other words that come to mind are:

honor, grace, hope, determination, truth, believe, perseverance, heart, vision, spirit, unconditional, shine, balance, inspire, celebrate, journey, transcend, unity, oneness. I also really like the word 'embrace' (from Becia's story) - it could not only symbolize embracing your own journey, but also the way you embrace others, in theirs.

Peace,

I think that may have been one the nicest things that anyone has ever said to me. Thank you, I cant even tell you how much I needed to "hear" that today. You are full of strength and life and determination as well.

Thank you for saying all those kind things, your a true blessing to DINET and to those around you. You can make a difference in this life and I encourage you to do so, however you'd like to!

Sarah

Hi Sarah, I've considered a tattoo for similar reasons... so I'm following your thread ;-) In my case, surviving the process of adopting through foster care along with the onset of POTS seems tattoo worthy to me! Similarly, most of the folks on this forum survive so much - we all deserve major credit :wub:

I have piercings but no tattoos. I also have wondered if I would be able to tolerate it okay now. I don't have a needle fear, but I don't always know how my body is going to react to certain things these days.

Bec, I loved your idea!!!

Im sorry you don't think you can handle another one. I think that may be what Katie is talking about.

Lets get through your surgery and take it one step at a time a time after that? Everything will be okay, don't you worry,. You've got a ton of support on here and we're all rooting for you! No taksies backsies ---- you deserve this, ladyjane!! :D

You made me smile here Sarah. Thank you ((hugs))

I did also mention he was 25 minutes late and had donut crumbs in his beard? Now I don't like to judge, but...COME...ON...

This had me laughing. I can just imagine the look on your face with it.

Donut crumbs, huh? Exactly why I detest beards.

I've thought of numerous things over the last couple years, but can't seem to settle on something. Maybe that's why I haven't done it!

I had a close friend who was a veteran and gave me a nickname that I really treasured and used to motivate me - "little Marine" - so I thought I was going to get that since the Marine Corps is one of the ultimate symbols of strength and loyalty in the U.S. But we drifted apart as I became ill so now I'm not sure if it would have the same positive force to it.

Have also thought of using my children's initials in some way or a snippet of favorite song lyrics (but I have so many of those!).

Will post again if I remember other ideas... super hungry and tired-brained at the moment.