Depression...

dizzyallie

Hi Guys,

I am of course going through depression with some anxiety. Have been under a therapist for just under a year. Mind you appointments have been fortnightly or monthly - only availability there is. It has helped somewhat but I am still depressed. Probably because I am sicker the last couple months (it is summer).

I can not take any anti dep or anxiety meds though, have had bad reactions years ago bowel wise (not to mention all the head probs) So they are out of bounds for me. I do take amitryptiline at 10mg for sleep. May have to up this one I'm thinking.

I'm wondering, are others in similar positions? Do you find you need something nerve wise but you just cant take anything???

Hi dizzyallie,

I have not had to deal with depression since I have developed pots, however, I was treated for depression when I was in college. I was lucky to find a therapist on campus that believed in practical therapies as much as drug therapies for treating his patients. He taught me meditation which helps tremendously to keep me centered and focused and not let the "depressive thoughts" to take over. A good book to read (and easy to read), that teaches meditations that you can do as you go about your day is, "Wherever you go, There you are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn. This author also has other books that are good for learning mindfulness and meditation but the other books are definitely a bit heavier of a read. The therapist also instilled in me the need to exercise. I know this is challenging with pots, but even laying on your back, there are exercises you can do. This releases feel good chemicals to counter the depression. I find that even 5 minutes of light movement can make me feel better. I hope these might be things that you can consider if you aren't able to find a drug treatment.

I have ocd, generalized anxiety disorder and anxiety. It has gotten a lot better over the years but I still struggle. I get real disoreiented with my anxiety and it makes me feel almost zombieish. I worry about my health a lot. I have so many health problems that when I have brain fog which is like almost everyday I worry about it which worrying about it makes it worse If I get chest pain which is always nothing I still worry. I don't let myself get too worried though. I also hate crowds. I don't like going into target or walmart the lights bother me I hate crowded places. I am on a medication for my anxiety that is not an ssri. It is called Vistaril. It is a form of hydroxyzine which is more for anxiety. It helps. It doesn't last all day so I take one pill in the morning and one at supper. My beta blocker atenolol has helped me with the physical symptoms of anxiety like shakiness sweating and pounding heart. I was on celexa for a few years but that made me worse so I had to stop it. I hope you find something that helps!! Anxiety is not fun!

Yes. I also have anxiety. Found out my norepinephrine shoots up when I stand or sit up and therefore, I am feeling like there is a lion in the room yet I am not anxious about anything in particular. It makes me feel better that it is probably physiological but I still find it very difficult to manage. I do take a benzodiazepine which helps but I realize there are a lot of pitfalls with this. I sometimes get pretty down as well and can't take an antidepressant. I try to find anything that makes me laugh as that is so healing for me.

One thing I have learned is that I shouldn't be afraid to ask for help when I need it. Depression can really skew my thinking. I can now see when my "red flags" pop up. Dealing with a chronic illness is a new challenge for me so I am learning and growing because of it. I am hesitant to say this is a blessing per se but I know I will be able to use all of the things I am learning to help others some day. We are all on a journey and I feel grateful to be on this forum! I guess what I am saying is "yes! I can relate!" prayers to you.

I also can say to you that a cooling vest saved me this past summer! I got mine on Amazon and it wasn't too expensive. Summers are the pits for me because I don't sweat other than my neck and forehead. I never knew that our whole body is supposed to sweat until the doc laughed when he told me it took forever to try to get my big toe to sweat. Hahaha!

Thanks Katybug, I might try look for that book. I am trying breathing techniques that my psych has got me doing too. I too find I am better if I can do something physically. Getting out of the house can help a lot, so I do push myself where possible. I need to get back to doing light movement exercise of the arms and legs, sitting and standing. Been bit slack of late.

Hi artluvr, I'm sorry that you battle with anxiety. I think I have generalised anxiety too but at present I just take atenolol also. I think to myself, being sick this long how can you NOT have some nerve issues. It's not like we're robots after all.

Hey Raisin, yes I need to learn to ask for more help when needed. Just a fortnight ago my psyche said we'll try 2 monthly visits, instantly I thought uh - oh! I could easily see him at the 1 month mark yet I am trying to prepare myself for him not being there from June on. I hate to think I have become dependent? and then another part of me thinks, why don't I get help while I can. I dunno. No sweats for you - wow - bodies really are odd hey! I might look into the vests ta.

Thanks all for the advice. Such a great site x