Fell And Broke Left Arm And Leg

valiz

I have balance, depth perception issues, blind "spots", and glaucoma. All this may exacerbate my NMH, dysautonomia, PAF. Anyway I have trouble seeing when there are 1 or two steps when I am at an unfamiliar place. I keep walking as though the floor or cement continues. I have had many close calls before but this is the first disaster. I broke both bones in my left arm and completely severed a ligament in my ankle and broke my fibula. i had too much swelling in both extremities and could not have either casted yet in the ER.. I have an orthopedic appt. today. I hope for casting, but still have alot edema. I have severe DDD in my spine and right now that pain is worse then the pain from the fractures. I was able to borrow a w/c from church since I can't use crutches. I love all the support from this forum. Blessings to all. liz

How awful. I'm so very sorry. I hope your appointment went well today and you recover quickly.

Janet

Thank- you all for your thoughts and well wishes. Pre-op and surgery went well. The surgeon was able to stabilize the arm with

a plate and screw. Post op was rough. The RR room nurse was determined to get me out on her time and not what I needed. It has always taken me longer to come out of anesthesia then some people. I kept having near syncope at the side of the bed and flop back down. To make a long story short the two nurses dressed me and got me in the car. at home my husband had to get a neighbor to hep get me in the house in the W/C. I couldn't sit up without fainting for hours, had projectile vomiting . the next day was much better but slept alot. They just don't get it that us with dysautonomia have special needs.

Hi Liz,

I'm glad the surgeries themselves went well. Sorry for the aftermath. You never should have been discharged under those conditions. I've had in and out patient surgeries and there is generally a minimum functionality that a patient has to have to be discharged after anesthesia. I can't imagine you met those criteria from what you're describing (dysautonomia or no, that shouldn't have made a difference. ) If I were you, when I was feeling better, I would file a complaint with the hospital regarding the circumstances under which those nurses sent you home. It's not ok to send someone home who is having syncopal episodes when they try to get out of the recovery bed or if they're vomiting. You might save someone else the same strife. Anyway, glad you're home and safe.

I'm so sorry Liz! Like you I have very much trouble waking up after gen. ans where everyone else is sitting and eating I'm sleeping and vomiting (sorry for tmi) with low bp's and feeling very sick. I'm glad you're doing better now but agree with Katie, you shouldn't have been sent home like that!