Can Someone Explain To Me "prostaglandins"?

I tried to go back through older posts and read what was there first but it was a lot of reading. Basically, I know I've heard this term here on our boards quite a bit. I was doing some research on why I feel really nauseated and sick right before my period and it mentioned prostaglandins were to blame.

Can anyone explain to me, in regards to dysautonomia and pots, what these prostaglandins are and do? Something MCAS related?

Thank you

The explanation is not specifically related to POTS but what a coincidence I was just reading about prostaglandins last night - I found a copy of "How to live Longer and feel Better" by Linus Pauling in a thrift store! (although its from 1986 so could be out of date?)

"The prostaglandins are small molecules (lipids, related to fats) that play a potent, central role in the functions of the human body. Acting as hormones, they are involved in regulation of the heart beat, the flow of blood, the damage done to cells by drugs, and the responses of the immune system. Whenever any tissue is disturbed or damaged it releases prostaglandins. The prostaglandins, especially PGE2 and PGF2-alpha, are involved with other substances in producing inflammation of the tissues - redness, swelling, pain, tenderness, and heat - resulting from increased flow of blood and the movements of leucocytes and other cells and substances to the region in response to the hormones. In 1978 Horrobin reported that vitamin C inhibits the synthesis of PGE2 and PGF2-alpha, and in this way the vitamin also exerts a considerable anti-inflammatory action. He reported, however, that whereas aspirin inhibits the synthesis of PGE1, vitamin C increases the amount synthesized. The prostaglandin PGE1 is involved in the formation of lymphocytes and plays a major part in the regulation of immune responses. Accordingly the effect of vitamin C in stimulating the production of PGE1 is an additional way in which the intake of the optimum amount of vitamin C strengthens the immune system and contributes to the maintenance of better health."

From the same book:

"In 1933 Goldblatt in England reported that human semen contains a substance that reduces blood pressure and stimulates smooth muscle. At about the same time Swedish investigator U. S. von Euler isolated a similar factor from the prostate glands of humans, monkeys, sheep, and goats (von Euler, 1937). He gave the name prostaglandin to the factor. The prostaglandins are hormones, serving as messengers to control the biochemical and physiological activity in the body. They are fat-soluble lipids. ..... There was evidence that prostaglandins are involved in the processes that cause inflammation, fever, and pain. Vitamin C has been found to act in a way similar to aspirin in inhibiting the synthesis of some prostaglandins. Horrobin, Manku, et al (1979) have pointed out that this prostaglandin (PGE1) is involved in lymphocyte function and other aspects of the immune system, in rheumatoid arthritis, in various auto-immune diseases, in multiple sclerosis, and in cancer."

Quite, er, interesting!

Thank you little blue jay.....How ironic...... you were just reading about this same topic, that's cool! Thank you for posting and writing out all this information, it was very informative. I still have trouble understanding some of it though. Interesting facts indeed. I just need to go back and re-read to understand more.

Thank you and I love going to goodwill too!