Gluten Vs Nonenriched Flour

lewis

I have been gluten free for about 7 months. After a few threads on this forum about high folic acid levels ( my levels were above normal) I realized that possibly the reason that eating things with gluten in them might not be from the gluten but from the added vitamins in enriched flour. Last night I found some organic flour that has no added anything. I had my wife whip up a batch of my favorite cookies (chocolate chip, she used to make them for me every friday) that I haven't had in 7 months. In the past anytime I had gluten my heart rate would immediately start racing and my nerve pain would increase. After half dozen non-enriched cookies, I feel no different then how i have felt the past few weeks. I will continue to see if it affects me.Thoughts?

Hi Lewis,

We are of like minds. I am mthfr homozygous and can't convert the folic acid. I had been buying organic flour for years, before I found out. I'm so glad that I did as it helped cut down my exposure. As far as I know I don't have gluten or celicac, but I do have other autoimmunes. It is very hard for me to tell when I'm reacting to a food, as it's usually delayed. I avoid as much as I can eating flour products when eating out, but I do still eat them here and there.

I have though had the same thoughts as you, that maybe all these gluten problems were actually a problem with processing the probably poor quality folic acid in everything that is enriched. I've even considered contacting the FDA about this.

My cardiologist ordered the mthfr and inflammatory marker testing. There is a lot of different illness associated with this gene defect. It in combination some hematology labs can be really bad news. I'd get tested if my folic acid and/or homocysteine levels were elevated.

The good news is avoidance and getting on active folate will help you process out the stuff that has built up in your body.

I've also been taking the methylfolate and methyl b12 and will be adding the active b5 and b6. I'm also on other meds to treat my other issues. My inflammatory markers and some symptoms have improved. I do continue to fight fungal infections due to a defect in my immunoglobulins.

I paid $60 a few years ago for a celiac blood test and came up negative. However I know I feel crappy as **** if I eat gluten. Heart races, bloating, gurgling guts, super thirstier than usual, etc.

I stick to GF 99% of the time but sometimes I weaken and crave a slice of toast & butter so bad. I don't know why I don't learn my lessons :wacko:

Perhaps it's gonna be a delayed reaction, lewis? (Hopefully not though! But sometimes the reaction isn't instantaneous!)