Bp Readings. A Question About Ranges.

I can have swinging bp readings.

Last Tuesday it was 99/71 with pulse rate of 121 at 7am in the morning. By midday it was 146/87 with pr of 83. So they do swing but not what I'd call wild swings.

Today my bp reading in the morning was 150/86 with a pulse rate of 83 at 6am. It's midday now and it was 130/76 with pr of 72.

It's been higher than that at times. Not lower, for some years now. I've had pulse rate readings that are higher. They can be high upon waking in the middle of the night. And I know that both bp and pr readings are higher at times when I have to walk for further than I feel well enough to, or get caught standing sometimes. Migraines really push up bp readings for me.

These past few days have seen me with lots of episodes of breakthrough migraine pain that generally pushes up my bp readings. So does the pain and anxiety caused by erythromelalgia.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences swings that are by no means extreme, but still distinct. I'm wondering if it's a natural thing for bp readings to swing like mine do. Or a pots thing. I'm hoping some of you with some medical knowledge can fill me in.

thanks,

blue

From what I understand this is a POTS symptom. Are you on any medications to help with this?

I don't have a lot of medical knowledge but my blood pressure ranges from 80/60 to 130/80 depending on time of day, posture, activity level, whether or not I've eaten recently, etc. I've also found that my blood pressure reading has little to do with how I'm feeling. I took my blood pressure a few minutes ago because my vision is blurry and I'm feeling extra fatigued and it was 110/75. Conversely, there have been days when I'm running around feeling not half bad and my blood pressure will be very low at the time. So many weird things about POTS.

Mine varies per minute at the moment, I can go from 120/70 (which is on meds and really good for me) to 88/54 within minutes (which is on meds also). Usually when I feel bad my bp is low. I hardly see the 120's, I usually am from 80 to100's systolic, diastolic is a little better 50's to 70's. A few weeks ago my pulse was low too (low 50's) which made me crash at the gym, it came back up to 60's and 70's recently which makes me feel a little better. I guess it's POTS though am thinking about seeing my cardio.

Thank you people,

I was on medication for bp but ceased it with docs permission. I just took it first thing when I got up and it was 145/95. Back to the doctor I guess. I have had rolling migraine and erythromelagia pain for days, increasing and decreasing in intensity so I think pain levels have pushed bp readings up. Last week the readings were pretty stable and my pots doc did not seemed concerned about them. As you said looney mom, it's a pots thing, as he pretty much said. I do have problems with medicating it.

Thank you all, for your input.

Blue

I had an appointment with my Gp a couple of hours ago and bp reached severe levels - my migraine had been giving me a world of pain. Plus i couldn't focus my eyes (worse than usual) and had migraine induced vertigo. We are decided that it was safer to go back on my old bp med - micardis (telmistartin) and for me to try to live with side effects until I see my POTS doc again for a review. I am 58, postmenopausal, and don't want to risk migraine/high blood pressure stroke - which is something a friend of mine, who was also a long term chronic migraineur like me luckily survived some years ago. I don't like side effects of the micardis but will suck them up for now. Thank you all for your responses.

Blue

Before I was on my betablocker, my BP range was between 120/80 and spikes with 190/120. Since I take bystolic, my BP is always between 110/75 and 130/95. Docs regard this to be perfect, most "healthy" people have worse figures, I am always told.

Besides, I asked some of my healthy friends to take their BP regularly, as I really wanted to have some figures to compare. And in fact, most of them have extreme BP swings in the course of the day without realising and without feeling bad at all.

Thanks Goshi, very helpful.

I never used to worry when my BP was always low to normal range but now it's swung around the other way I'm having to get used to the change. I think I may be one of those people that should not have a BP machine as checking bp is making me anxious and that just pushes up my BP readings making me more anxious and so it goes...

Blue