Is Your Hr Constant Or Changing If Lying Or Standing In Place?

I was using a BP cuff to measure and it seemed my HR was rather constant but now using finger pulse meter it seems to bounce up and down a lot. Like lying HR can be 70, rise up to 85, go back down part way etc. with no clear pattern so I cannot really say what my HR is.

Does the same thing standing. Tonight standing (I am being treated on B-blocker -Propranolol low dose as always) was 102, numbers dropped to 95, then rise again to 109 and drop down again. I cannot really even say what my rates are as they are changing moment to moment.

Is this the way other POTS patients measure on a finger meter. I mean if I have written a range here on the web site or to tell my doctor, for my HR I usually meant on different dates and times, measuring my HR. Moving while you watch it, especially while lying down is new to me.

Years back when I had tilt test, off all meds, I remember my HR was bouncing (i.e. it would go way up-as high as 156 I believe, and then down and then back up, probably in about a minutes time. It just continued this bouncing, while tilted upright.

Are any of these things normal for POTS patients? It is frustrating because the articles I read on POTS talk of averages etc. but not what a real patient looks like in front of you.

Another weird thing-normally my lying and standing HR are high, but I have these rare nights where they will drop down to below normal ( or maybe that is normal, but for example a drop to 61 that stayed there for several minutes between 61-63, before going back up. This is on low dose propranolol but without recent dose change etc.)

My understanding is that to be diagnostic for POTS, your heart rate has to increase more than 30 beats per minute within five minutes of standing from a supine position. I don't think minute to minute variances in your heart rate, which even healthy people experience, is as crucial. When I keep records for my cardio, which I'm doing right now, he is most concerned with what my pulse and b/p are like when I am lying down and what happens to it when I stand. At night, my pulse rate when supine is around 55-70 and it bounces up to 110 within seconds of standing up. I don't measure my heart rate at other times because I would drive myself crazy.

Yeah, my HR changes rapidly with my breathing. You can always average it out, but like rgny said, if you get a 30+ bpm increase in HR within a few minutes of standing up (10 minutes I think), you qualify for POTS. Some doctors may want a sustained increase, but with the HR changing constantly, they might average it out? I dunno, maybe others can clarify. On my TTT my supine HR was 70s-80s range with a standing HR of up to 150 bpm with it going up and down, but still being sustained at 30+ bpm difference in HR from supine to standing position.

According to frequent measuring, my HR can both be constant or changing quite a lot, being in the same posture.

However, in almost every occasion I quality for POTS with a rather fast increase of 30bpm or more from lying to standing.

But recently I started to measure less often, as I understood (as so many here do!!) that my HR does actually not relate at all how I feel in general.

Since 1 month I take Bystolic (betablocker) and my HR is generally lower than before, and even the rise when getting upright is less (before 50-60bpm, now "only" 30-35bpm).

When I first realised that, I was very happy! Frustration kicked in when I understood that despite this "success", I can't do more physically in every day life.

Thus, I am changing my "paradigm" right now and ask my docs not to concentrate on the HR at all, but to think about any measures that can give me more life quality - even, if the price would be a higher HR!

According to frequent measuring, my HR can both be constant or changing quite a lot, being in the same posture.

However, in almost every occasion I quality for POTS with a rather fast increase of 30bpm or more from lying to standing.

But recently I started to measure less often, as I understood (as so many here do!!) that my HR does actually not relate at all how I feel in general.

Since 1 month I take Bystolic (betablocker) and my HR is generally lower than before, and even the rise when getting upright is less (before 50-60bpm, now "only" 30-35bpm).

When I first realised that, I was very happy! Frustration kicked in when I understood that despite this "success", I can't do more physically in every day life.

Thus, I am changing my "paradigm" right now and ask my docs not to concentrate on the HR at all, but to think about any measures that can give me more life quality - even, if the price would be a higher HR!

^This...

I have the same problem of feeling sick, even when my HR is in the 60-100 bpm range.