Side Effects Of Ranitidine?

rgny

I started having abdominal pain in May and my GP put me on 300 mg of ranitidine daily for what he suspected was GERD or an ulcer. I took it for about two weeks with improvement in the pain, but it caused horrendous brain fog and fatigue during the day even though I took my dose at bedtime. I stopped it and within 24 hours, I was flat out with a flare of POTS. It can't be a coincidence. I went from almost normal functioning (driving, doing all errands independently, gardening, housework, etc.) to being almost completely bedbound.

I tried taking ranitidine again with some improvement in my POTS symptoms but the nearly unbearable fatigue and palpitations from the medication were affecting me as badly as the POTS symptoms so I stopped it again. I tried a reduced dose of 75 mg with no success. I've been off the medication now for a week and my POTS symptoms are as bad as they've ever been. I can be up and moving around for 10 minutes at the most. When I stand, my heart rate immediately rockets into the 140s and 150s when before it was hanging in there around the 90s to 100s. I fainted yesterday for the first time in my life while sitting up and eating lunch. This stinks.

I've parted ways with my GP because he became very angry at the idea that I was having side effects or withdrawal from the ranitidine. It's a well-tolerated drug, apparently, so I shouldn't be having any problems, and if I am, I'm imagining them. Whatever.

I know many people with mastocytosis, etc. take ranitidine and see improvement in their symptoms. Has anyone ever had a bad reaction like I have? I'm actually beginning to question myself even though I have a long history of drug intolerance.

Hi, you said you were diagnosed with pots, but have you ever been diagnosed with any of the other dysautonomias? Syncope/fainting is another form, as is hypotension. You can have more than one at the same time. Often there is any underlying cause bringing on the dysautonomia symptoms. It is idiopathic if no cause can be found. Also look to your other autonomic functions, sweating, body temperature, digestion and elimination, moisture, are these functions normal? If they are not then it is important to look further.

Sorry to hear your doctor gave you a hard time, many in this community have experienced the same thing. Many of us have moved on to find doctors that will listen to us. Don't take it personal and trust your own instincts when this happens. If your gut is telling you to move on, move on, it is usually right.

Have they investigated anything else? Thyroid, autonomic small fiber neuropathy, EDS, autoimmune, mast cell, carcinoid, mitochondrial, immune deficiencies are just a few of many potential primary causes, seen here.

I found ranitidine to be helpful to me, but I started at a much lower dose and don't use it frequently, often when I use it I pair it with benedryl at nite or sudafed during the day so I get H1 and h2 coverage. I don't know that I have mast cell issues though. However, this combo does seem to be helpful when I'm having what I call sore intestines and/or a chewing feeling in my stomach. Mast cell might be a consideration for you. There are a lot of posts on this topic, try using the search feature to pull those posts up.

I think most of here have come to learn when it comes to meds, we start in baby doses and wean up, and wean down in baby does if we want to go off something. Stopping suddenly may have triggered your symptoms. You could talk to your pharmacist or contact the drug manufacturer and see what they might say.

Fainting while eating lunch, is potentially dangerous and should be investigated further, that is what I would do if it was me. Really don't know what you've had investigated, so it's a bit harder to point in a direction that might be helpful.

I started having abdominal pain in May and my GP put me on 300 mg of ranitidine daily for what he suspected was GERD or an ulcer. I took it for about two weeks with improvement in the pain, but it caused horrendous brain fog and fatigue during the day even though I took my dose at bedtime. I stopped it and within 24 hours, I was flat out with a flare of POTS. It can't be a coincidence. I went from almost normal functioning (driving, doing all errands independently, gardening, housework, etc.) to being almost completely bedbound.

I tried taking ranitidine again with some improvement in my POTS symptoms but the nearly unbearable fatigue and palpitations from the medication were affecting me as badly as the POTS symptoms so I stopped it again. I tried a reduced dose of 75 mg with no success. I've been off the medication now for a week and my POTS symptoms are as bad as they've ever been. I can be up and moving around for 10 minutes at the most. When I stand, my heart rate immediately rockets into the 140s and 150s when before it was hanging in there around the 90s to 100s. I fainted yesterday for the first time in my life while sitting up and eating lunch. This stinks.

I've parted ways with my GP because he became very angry at the idea that I was having side effects or withdrawal from the ranitidine. It's a well-tolerated drug, apparently, so I shouldn't be having any problems, and if I am, I'm imagining them. Whatever.

I know many people with mastocytosis, etc. take ranitidine and see improvement in their symptoms. Has anyone ever had a bad reaction like I have? I'm actually beginning to question myself even though I have a long history of drug intolerance.

Great advice Arizona Girl

Rgny ,

I have constipation problems and ranitidine cases my constipation to become total - no movement. as does zyrtec. My allergist agrees with my observation. Both seem to cause dry skin, too and she agrees with that. I've got a lot of med sensitivities plus allergies.

And I question myself all the time too. Sometimes I may be mistaken but usually my observations have merit. On occasion I've tried a medication and had too many side effects to continue with it but I've found that I can sometimes try it again at a later point and it is okay. My body symptoms change. And my reactions, or lack of them, to a med can change to.

Of course, if I am allergic to something then that med is out.

Blue