Effect Of Computer Screens On Vision/migraine Etc?

I have to use my computer quite a lot at times -- for my hubby's business. Plus I do a bit of writing -- just practice stuff -- it challenges my brain and, who knows, one day I might right something good enough to be published (a small hope). And I will check into this forum on and off on the days I feel okay to do so. But I do find I have to be very careful not to use my computer on 'bad days.' It overstimulates me, causes my vision to go shadowy or opposite -- causes my eyes to feel like everything is too brigh, and will trigger migraine or sometimes short lived dizziness. I lie on the couch to use it with my feet up, pillows propping up my back and head, and a pillow on my lap under the lap top. I try not to bend my neck down too much. When I have a mild migraine I usually won't even try to use my computer. When I have a bad one I can't bear to look at it. I used to have coloured reading glasses to help with the screen (must get some more) but on days when I'm not too good but have to use it I will put my reading glasses on with a pair of polaroid sunglasses over the top.

Just wondering how other people cope with their computers on bad days, good days, whether they can trigger symptoms etc.?

blue

I think this is pretty common - something about bluish light setting off migraines. I haven't had a migraine in months but when I was getting a lot I couldn't really use the computer either. It was unbearable during migraines and if I looked for more than a few minutes it would set one off. Light is actually my biggest migraine trigger and I can always tell when a migraine is trying to come on because I start getting light sensitive. So here's my suggestion:

Download an program called f.lux. https://justgetflux.com You can set the light on your computer and make it warmer or cooler - warm light is usually better tolerated by migraine sufferers but the light from electronics is "cool"! It will change the color tones a bit on your screen but as long as your not doing like...color sensitive photo work, you should be fine. It's helped me SO much! I doesn't make looking at a screen during a migraine bearable, but it has definitely helped prevent them. Also a kind of bizarre suggestion but if you have trouble with screens - you can change the color balance your on TV and make it more red. I do this when I can tell I'm getting light-sensitive and it really helps (although I'm not sure my family appreciates it!)

Download an program called f.lux. https://justgetflux.com You can set the light on your computer and make it warmer or cooler - warm light is usually better tolerated by migraine sufferers but the light from electronics is "cool"! It will change the color tones a bit on your screen but as long as your not doing like...color sensitive photo work, you should be fine. It's helped me SO much!

I came to say this! f.lux has done wonders for me with my issues looking at the computer screen and also helps avoid "blue light" exposure which can interfere with your ability to fall asleep at night