Uncontrollable Eye Movements

Hey, everyone. The day before yesterday, I experienced something really weird, and a little scary. I was sitting working on a crochet project, concentrating on the stitches, when all of a sudden, my eyes were moving rapidly side to side, uncontrollably. It lasted only about two to three seconds, and it wasn't the first time it has happened. It happens maybe once every few months.

Does anyone else experience this, and is it something to be worried about? Do you have any ideas of what might cause it, and should I bring it up with my doctor? Thanks!

The docs believe mine is being caused by the structural issues in my neck....discs and subluxed vertebrae pressing on my cord. We're hoping it's one of the symptoms that will go away with my surgery in June. My nystagmus only happens when my neck is in flexion or I am moving from neutral to flexion and vice versa. It coincides with what we see on the imaging as far as how the compression of my cord changes upon flexion. I have both side to side and rotary nystagmus. The side to side is fast movement but the rotary is a real trip. It is much slower and it makes it look like the world is wobbling in a circular motion. The rotary nystagmus mostly happens to me when I'm waking up....I must be sleeping in a position that causes the cord compression. I usually have to lay straight and try open and closing my eyes every few minutes until it stops. It can be nauseating. I at first thought it was some extreme form of vertigo but I realized I could feel a slight "around the world" movement of my eyeballs. Most nystagmus can be provoked during neurologic exams or ENG testing at the ENT/audiologists office. Mine is trickier to provoke because my neck has to be in just the right position (like when I'm looking down to read) to be provoked. A neurologist or an ENT would be the docs most likely to be able to help you with this if it is nystagmus.