racing mind, help!

Radha

would xanax or ativan help for a mind that just keeps going and going? just too active, and wont shut off! which of these type of meds have the least side effects, especially when your bp is very low? and would they help if you dont actually have anxiety? just think too much? thanks and wish you all a goodnight,

radha

Dear Radha,

Don't you wish you could adjust your brain, body and emotions to be in perfect harmony?

Until then... nights can be long.

If you keep a journal or handwrite letters you can have that satisfaction, brain work, and quiet time all at once. Get those thoughts on paper. (Make sure your bedside light is easy to turn off and on)

I keep notebooks by the bed to write my ideas in. I have a CD player that plays my most inspiring and comforting music. I have a few of my favorite Bible verses that I can meditate on, so I can try to distract my mind from daytime activities.

The doctor may be hesitant to give you xanax or another drug when your blood pressure is low because it could go lower. The meds could cloud your judgment.

If you take a sleep med, take it in bed and stay there. Some people take it and say they will go to bed when they get drowsy. The night goes by as the drugged person stumbles around missing sleep.

With dysautonomia, your body's chemistry can be off normal and make you buzz at bedtime. Your medications, beta blockers (e.g.atenolol) or alpha blockers (e.g.clonidine), although not tranquilizers can also settle things down.

I hope that you can get some good rest--and good thinking too--soon! -Deb

xanax .25mg helps to clear my mind. My counselor said if I just feel like my mind is taking over too much Paxil will help with that but I won't try another SSRI they make me sicker. But alot of people have luck with stuff like that. I also clear my mind by reading or reciting bible versus it's helpful expecially if I have some negative things in my mind (like something from the nightly news)

Dayna

thanks for all your replies, yes i always keep a pen and paper within reach, i feel lost if i dont have paper with me at all times! my poor mom listens to me go on and on talking the same things over and over day after day, thank God she is so patient! so you all think that xanax is the safest, compared to valium and ativan? thanks again!

radha