Blood Test Prior To Iv Hydration?

I am hoping people who have a standing order for IV fluids or who give themselves fluids at home through a port could respond and I will print this discussion out to share with my doctor. Thanks in advance!

My question is: Does your doctor require a blood test prior to each IV hydration to check electrolyte levels or any other levels? Also, on average how often do you require IV hydration and how many liters do you usually receive?

My son gets two IV s a week. He used to receive two liters at each appt., but the latest neurologist wants him to stop completely. He is now weaning himself off by getting 1 1/2 liters twice a week. His doctor does not require blood work for each visit. The neurologist said that this was a short term solution. I will say it does make a difference in energy level, though.

I'm hoping I can get this approved after my next cardio appointment next week, either at home with a port, or at some sort of infusion center (we really don't have one around, so I'm afraid its going to be "go to the er twice a week"). If they could do two liters once a week, I think I would be set, they help so so SO much than me trying to drink everything. I drink 16 oz of whatever, 10 minutes later, I'm peeing it all out, I keep thinking "Whats the point?", and when I'm on IV's, like when in the hopsital, my cells and my body absorb it so much differently, and I feel 10 times better.