Sleep Positions

I noticed something similar - it is even more "sophisticated", so to speak. I have normal hr/bp when I lie totally flat on my back, head not elevated. When I lay down on my sides, hr starts to rise (about 5-7 bpm). When I lay down on one side, raise my head a bit and support it with one hand (ellbow placed on the bed) my hr already goes up as much as 15bpm! This is actually more than I get, when I go from supine to sitting! (about 10-12bpm).

Consequently, I feel less symptomatic when sitting than when I lie on one side with elevated supported head. I have not the least idea, why this is happening, as there can't be any blood pooling in my lower body, as long as it is totally supine! I wonder, if anyone (medics/patients) already REALLY understands what's going on in POTS...

At least I'm not alone! I thought it was some fluke but I've been testing it the last few nights. I also feel better sitting but if I sit too long I get pooling in my legs. I've noticed that if I sit straight up I get symptoms but not if I'm kind of slouched.

Again exactely the same here! Sitting is not so bad, but after prolonged time the pooling in my legs is really bad. Sitting straight up is the worst, actually worse than walking for a few minutes! I remember I was tempted to sit in a slouched position for many years, so I probably had POTS for quite a long time.

Not good to lie flat with dysautonomia - blood pools in the mesenteric (abdominal) blood vessels and pushes up on the chest when lying flat - this makes it hard to breathe and actually decreases the circulation to heart and brain. The best is head elevated about 30-degrees which promotes better circulation and helps breathing. I've heard a lot of people complain about lying on their left side and heart issues. I suspect it is because of the compression of the vessels around the heart when lying on the left side.

The only way I can sleep is with my head elevated. I also have pillows under my arms and legs. Dysautonomia is not conducive to a restful night of sleep.

I thought I was the odd ball. I cannot lay on my side, and my left is worse than my right. It doesn't necessarily instigate measurable. I get very short of breath and sickly feeling. Very uncomfortable. Laying flat I am not comfortable, but not nearly as bad as laying on my sides.

Hey Sue, and anyone else who feels like their airway gets blocked when they sleep on their back-

Check out this link

http://www.centerforsoundsleep.com/sleep-disorders/upper-airway-resistance-syndrome/

For all of us with EDS or Joint hypermobility and tissue laxity, this is very likely to be a problem. Also a study out of France apparently found that 50% of "older women" had this anyway, regardless of EDS etc. So a very common problem that might be contributing to some of the sleep problems we experience. Of course, yet again, not a commonly diagnosed or well known problem- yet anyway.

I remember periods of time where it seemed I couldn't lie in any position to sleep. On my back, I'd wake up gasping for air and it killed my low back. On my sides, my HR was so high and pounding so hard it would literally feel like my body was rocking back and forth. On my stomach killed my neck and increased my migraines.

Seems like it's all been better since we elevated the head of the bed a few years ago.