Compression Stockings Safe With Small Fiber Neuropathy?

Goschi

Last week I got the the results of my skin biopsy. It turned out that I have a very mild form of small fiber neuropathy, confined to my lower legs. My cardio didn't take much notice of this test (neuro ordered it) and now wants me to try compression stockings.

I am hesitant - may the stockings be bad for the SFN? Maybe preventing a possible regeneration of the small fibers? My neuro wants me to try lipoic acid for this, my cardio has never heard of this med... It's all so tiring if you have to "balance" your docs...

I was diagnosed with SFN also. I have no feeling from mid calf down and pain from hips down. My neurologist suggested compression stockings but not the knee high ones because they compress nerves. She suggested thigh or waist high. They do help with some of the pain and swelling but not the numbness. She didn't say anything about meds for it.

• 7 years later...

I am trying the socks and holy cow they are making the pain and burning much worse. But should help with the blood pooling? I have POTS and dysautonomia and an antibody causing the SFN as well. Alpha Lipoic has really helped me. Along with Magnesium which is really helping absorb the Alpha Lipoic. Also E and B12 are very important. 

58 minutes ago, Robiny1522 said:

But should help with the blood pooling?

Robiny studies have shown that the compression sock/stockings help with the blood pooling. For most folks this is highly personalized as to how one feels using them. The usual use for them is to help with edema (swelling of the legs) whether it is drug induced or from diabetes. They are also standard issue after open heart surgery as one will swell up a bit . Also they are used with folks that suffer from orthostatic hypotension. In my case my care team will not let me use them because of my PVD.

Hopefully someone else can queque in to this as well.