Important Question Regarding Slow Digestion And P.o.t.s

Cmac3721

Does anybody on here have any other type of autonomic nervous system issues like GP, mine came simultaneously with P.O.T.S . My Gp is mild compared to most on here and has had small improvements with ativan over a 2 year period. Why ativan is helping? I'm unsure for the most part but ativan seems to have an element which promotes muscle relaxation which could in turn relax my stomach muscles.

---- My next question is has anybody on here had a diagnoses of POTS or other ANS issues associated with their GP, and if so has anybody tried a pyloroplasty with any success. Dr's also suspect my nissen has slipped but I doubt that's causing all the issues 5 years after the surgery. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have suspected gastroparesis and/or muscle spasms, though it's never been officially diagnosed. I have found some relief in essential oils. When I ingest two to three drops of peppermint each day (in tea or hot chocolate, for example) I actually see marked improvement. I have to keep it up and can't miss or it comes back. I also find momentary relief putting the essential oil DiGize on my stomach when it's hurting. The DiGize also helps with nausea as well as the pain I experience. I definitely recommend looking into essential oils.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with pyloroplasty, although I personally wouldn't opt for any kind of surgery having dysautonomia unless there was no other option. Sorry I can't be of more help!

My son's main issues have been GI related. He was diagnosed with gastropareisis in 2009 and in 2011 he was retested and it was fine. My son tried Ativan and got no relief, but a drug in the same class Klonopin(clonazepam) has been the most helpful medicine for him. I'm not sure why it works, but his nausea is way, way down since starting it.

I would avoid the pyloroplasty especially if you believe your GP is pretty mild. I did not have one, but it has a tendency to cause dumping syndrome from which there is really no coming back. Have you tried Domperidone? It can be ordered from Canada with a US prescription (if you are in the US). You could also try Erythromycin. I have fairly mild GP as well and have had amazing success with acupuncture and the supplement Iberogast. They are running a few large scale acupuncture trials right now for GP, but initial studies were promising and I had some real improvement after a few sessions.

I began my search for my Dysautonomia because of severe nausea which caused a 30 lb. weight loss. I never went back to my gastro guy since my diagnosis so I haven't been formally diagnosed with gastro paresis but I take Zofran almost daily for nausea. I eat smaller meals and don't do well with carbs or high sugar. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a pyloraplasty. Sorry I am not more helpful but I can certainly relate.

Thanks for all the responses guys, this has been some very helpful information I think i might try more chiropractic and accupuncture.

Make sure you find an acupuncturist who really knows what they are doing. The first one I saw was awful and made no positive difference. The second that I went to could not have been more awesome and I felt better after the first visit.