First Write Up At Work

If you add up al the hours you've worked in the last 12 months, would it average to 20 or more hours per week? I ask because you may be protected under the terms of the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). A lot of employers are unaware or choose to not inform employees of their rights under FMLA and the protection it affords the employee. There are certain qualifying factors that you and the employer need to meet in order for your job to be protected under FMLA. But, if you have received a write up for attendance and the attendance issue is due to your medical issues, now would be the time to find out if you are eligible for FMLA. Technically, it's the employer's responsibility to inform you about it and provide you with the paperwork, but since it isn't always in their best interest, they don't always do it. You should be able to find info online about it if your employer can not provide you with the information. If you are eligible, once you and your doc complete the paperwork, you can miss up to an intermitent twelve weeks of time in a rolling twelve month period and have your job protected if the absences continue to be due to the illness stated by the doc.

Yep, go with FMLA all the way. I had issues when I was out last year on FMLA for my first of two heart ablations, and I tell ya, the company I worked for was a piece of work themselves. They tried to deny it at first, but when I presented all the paperwork, and basically got angry, it was on like donkey kong. I refused to have my job at risk when I've always done what they have asked me, and my doctor basically telling me "if you don't have this ablation, you run a very high risk of heart damage," (little did I know that those two ablations would probably be what puts me in the position I'm in now).

Def try looking into FMLA. I hope things get better for ya.

Thank you guys. I'm still in shock. My plan is to go in on my regular scheduled day tues and continue on. I was given the write up at lunch..hardest thing I've done thus far was staying despite the flare it caused. I will look into your info, I appreciate it. I worked 24plus hours a week til end of October then dec started back working upward to 16 hours a week currently

I'm so sorry - it's just not fair to have to work, be sick, and deal with a harsh work environment. I've been blessed to be employed for more than 30 years at the same place. I do have intermittent FMLA that I keep up from year-to-year. I save up all my sick and leave time and use it only when I have to be out related to my illness. I have not had a vacation in many, many years - the only time off I get is when I have medical procedures done or am in the hospital because I'm too sick to work. - yet, I can't complain - at least I can pay the bills..........

That is right. One day at a time. That has been a hard lesson for me.

I have been very fortunate with the company that I have worked for. They helped me finish my additions, paid me for a year before short term kicked in. They keep asking me if I can come back. I hope so. I wish that all companies could be like this one.

Just do your best BigSky. That is all you can do. I am rooting for you.

Nice to hear from you gjensen. I was crushed. 90 days of "issues" no one spoke to me about it at time of service .Basically brought allegations to the table with not a lot of info and no assistance to help reconcile. What can I do after the fact? I stood upright and got through the day despite the flare it caused. As trivial as it sounds I wore new scrubs and even put makeup on that day. I've been so pleased to hear about your relationship with your employer. I hope you can get back to what you seem to be so good at and enjoy

Employers have a way of getting around that by going from great evaluations to suddenly one that leaves you scratching your head and feeling scared for your job security when you've not changed your work habits (only bettering them by the gain of more experience). Then it looks like the ball is in your court to either disprove their claims or to prove their breach of FMLA. It isn't fair. To them, it's business and profit, bottom line. When my employer blindsided me once, that was the point my attitude about my job changed. I had worked there for over 20 years but at that point, it was no more coming in early or staying late or going above and beyond. I too became 'just business' by giving only what was required of my job--in hours and in demands--no more, no less. Surprisingly, to me it seemed to lift a burden off my shoulders (being type A perfectionist that I am).

Where I worked, if one was written up, that employee always had the right to dispute the claims prior to signing the write-up (i.e. give examples that counter what the claims are). Another issue where I worked (and took early retirement from) is that performance evaluations determined wage increases. Salaried were always the end of the year evaluations and when the budgets were looking bad, evaluations suffered (using those employees as a way for the company to save money--at the expense of holding pay increases). I too have had the satisfaction many times over of being asked if there was any way they could get me back.

I agree--as hard as it is, especially if you sense that there was some sort of conspiracy that folks you'd been with all this time knew about, just know, some people although managers just do as they are told to save their own necks. Some managers have no or very little formal training in management and have no place as managers. Hold your head high. Remain confident in your work ethic, and just take things one day at a time.

Best wishes.

I've been following this thread, Bigskyfam, and I'm really sorry to hear about how you are/were treated. I really like rubytuesday's comments. So far my employer has been supportive, but I have not missed any work or anything major due to my health issues (yet). But I have seen these kinds of things too many times! :angry:

Thank you . I wish you continued peace in your workplace. The interesting thing with my situation is that I've missed 1.5 days of work due to illness and 1 due to my sons minor illness since I've been back in mid dec. Folks have missed more than me and that leaves me scratching my head. I was amazed at how I kept it together even when I disproved so much. Time will tell.

Thanks! Wow, you have missed barely any time... especially considering all the illnesses going around this winter. That's suspicious.

I bet you did keep it together, because I think those of us with these types of conditions, including the people are this forum, are incredibly strong and resilient. We are fighting silently all the time.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't remember....is this a work place that has more than 50 employees? Have you asked or been offered FMLA paperwork to fill out? Sorry this is happening again. Also, the conversation regarding inappropriate comments should (in my opinion) be had, but not as part of the attendance conversation. ...they are two different issues. Often, HR or managers are taught to stick to the subject at hand when delivering a write up so as not to muddy the waters. But if inappropriate comments are being made, that is a legitimate concern that should be addressed on your behalf.

You may have some rights under the ADA, for instance you can get "reasonable accommodations" to help cover time off for medical appointments or be able to adjust your schedule. Maybe you can check into your state dept of labor to see if they have any other resources that may apply too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...