Curious If Any Of You Deal With This?

I wake up in the morning (and sometimes the middle of the night) and my hands/arms will be numb, and I have the feeling that my hands are so swollen that I can't make a fist. It can't be that I am sleeping funny because sometimes it's both sides.

Does anyone know why this would be happening?

I get this. I am seeing a neurosurgeon in a couple of weeks because my geneticist and pots neuro think it is coming from the plethora of messed up structures in my neck one of which is a disc impinging on my spinal cord and two vertebrae that slip over each other in ways they're not supposed to causing additional pressure on my spinal cord. I have been complaining about it for years and earlier every mri's showed changes but nothing that anyone took seriously because it was deemed minor even though I had these symptoms. This recent upright mri with flexion and extension showed a worsening of the structural issues and the reflexes in my arms are now impaired when the doctors test them.

I had that exact symptom for several months, I think I even made a post about it. I suspected it had something to do with high or low blood pressure while sleeping, but I never figured it out. It eventually went away, but I am still curious about it. Please let us know if you figure it out.

I have this, but only the side I lie on, I have assumed that it is because my circulation is so poor I can't push the blood round the side I am lying on. It s a pain as it wakes me up. I had wondered about wearing some kind of compression on my arms at night.

I have to echo Jackie here and mention neuropathy....Random 'numbness' that comes and goes is often the first symptom of neuropathy.

Yes, numbness can also come from spine and disk issues, but with dysautonomia I'd get tested for neuropathy if it's not caused by Chiari.

Good luck!

Best,

K

I experience all the time & the only diagnosis I have is a general dysautonomia. It's often quite specific for example the ring & pinky finger on my left hand which almost seems like a nerve impingement but considering I sometimes experience it elsewhere including my feet & I am not in a compromised position to compress a nerve it's related to something with the dysautonomia I'm sure