Question About Vanderbilt Clinic. Need Help!

Gemma

Hi everyone. I have appointment at Vanderbilt autonomic clinic in couple of weeks. I will be driving there and its a long trip, 12 hours. So my husband needs to take time off work to drive me there.

Does anyone here have any information about the clinic. If anyone visited clinic please share your experience and if you have any sugestions.

They said i will first have appointment with their doctor and then she will decide what tests if any they need to do. When i called I was told that usually they try to schedule tests same day or the next. I just hope they operate same way as Mayo clinic does and do everything while you there.

I wanted to also see their rhematologist for the chest pains that I have been experiencing for past 5 month. Rhematologist here told me my ANA is elavated and sedimentation is elavated, so i have some inflamation going on. She thinks its costochonditis.

I was wondering if I go there and want to see another doctor, how to arrange this , so I can see another doctor during the time I am staying there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

I went to the clinic last week. I live close by so I split the visit over two separate days. I went in the first day for testing. Be sure to read through the instruction packet they send, at the bottom of one of the pages they want you to not eat anything three hours before the tests, hold your meds the day of, and not have any caffeine for two days. I'm not sure what types of testing you will do, I only had a tilt table and some breathing tests. They measure your pulse and blood pressure while they are doing this. This was about an hour. I met with the doctor later for the results which was also about an hour. They go over the results and give you recommendations etc for you to follow up with your regular doctor. I'm not sure in your case how they will handle the other doctor you want to see. I know they are booked out pretty far in advanced so you may want to call the clinic back and see how they handle this. They may be able to work you in for an appointment if they know you are coming.

I called the autonomic clinic, and they said they try to schedule whatever doctor I need to see within the time frame that I am there, but she is not too sure about it. My husband keeps on pushing me to ask them to make sure that they will definetly do tests for me. He says I don't want to drive there for 12 hours just to see a doctor.

How was your testing ordered? Did your referring doctor order some tests before? For me they said I will first need to see their doctor and then she will decide what tests I need to have and if she decided to do tests then they will do them either that same day or next day. But, I am afraid what if she decided not to do any tests, then I drove for 12 hours one way for no reason.

Thanks.

My primary care ordered the autonomic tests, and I had them send previous records. They already told me I was taking the tests before I came for the appointment though, so it sounds different in your case. As for the other doctor, You can go online to the medical center's website and call the appointment line for the department you need and try to make an appointment for the time you will be there. They book up quickly so it may be hard but it's worth trying. I hope it works out, good luck.

I talk often with a POTS patient who went to Vanderbilt outpatient. She saw the doctor, then the doctor ordered the tests, the doctor created a report that was sent to referring doctors, then the doctor's assistant/nurse followed up with her with results via phone afterwards.

I am guessing he is probably doing the driving, and maybe I took this comment wrong, but I don't think it should be up to your husband if the trip is worth it. I think it should be up to you!