Too Much Brain Fog!!!

artluvr09

Does anyone else have major trouble with this? I feel like I can never be normal. The frustrating thing is that I do have anxiety which contributes a lot to the brain fog but also I have Dysautonomia which affects it too. It scares me. It makes me feel like im in a dream like state and can't snap out of it. I feel really off today. I haven't been sleeping well and we are going to get a snow storm. I have also been feeling sinus pressure in my cheeks and forhead today. This feeling scares me. The problem is it never ever goes away. I have better days than others but today is one of the worst days.

Brain Fog is most frustrating - I feel like I'm walking around with my mind dis-attached from my body. I lose my train-of-thought easily and drop words constantly. I don't think I have inordinate anxiety - It takes a lot to get me worked-up - my colleagues say I'm very cool under pressure. (probably because my brain is fogged over!) Sorry Art but, don't have any real suggestions for you - I know that when the fog is especially bad, a midodrine will usually improve my brain function fairly dramatically.

My brain fog significantly improved with this year's very cold mid-west winter. That, with the addition of compression stockings to help get the blood back up to my brain, and I noticed some foods were contributing to my low bp and brain fog so they have dropped off my diet. Have you considered the food you eat at all as possible contributors to your brain fog? I haven't figured out any helps for the barometer changes, but since I have been able to cut out some triggers, the times that I can't change anything seem easier to take.

Exactly E Soskis!! I feel like my mind is detached like im just one big thought bubble or something and nothing else is really real. and Hope that is interesting. What foods made yours worse? I've been thinking can light yogurts and non fat yogurts with the phenalynaline fake sugar stuff make it worse? everyday at 3 I have a Yoplait light for snack but that has a lot of fake stuff. and the compression stockings they help brain fog too? I never thought of that!!!

I'm not entirely convinced any one particular food makes the brain fog better or worse - it is more related to food volume consumed. If I eat too much at one time, I guess more blood is pooled in my GI system and my pressure drops which increases the brain fog (not to mention the gastric problems). I always feel better if I only eat a little at a time. I have friends who are quite sensitive to artificial sweeteners and the like but, I have not found this to be my case. I do wear compression stockings (knee-high). I used to wear the compression garments that went all the way up to my waist but, I have a lot of GI problems and the waist part seemed to make it worse. Keeping my blood pressure above 100 systolic seems to help the brain fog but, even with a "higher" blood pressure, I still feel I am out in "la la" land most of the time.

Brain fog was previously one of my worst symptoms, and as a knowledge worker, one of the more debilitating ones for me. I have found that eliminating gluten from my diet has improved this significantly!

However, I still have days where it comes back and can be pretty rough. But I'd say overall I see about a 75 improvement from eating a gluten-free diet.

I think I am seeing some improvement with taking a Zyrtec/Zantac combination recommended for mast cell activation. If you have low level allergies, they may make you feel tired and give you brain fog. Something to think about...

@ Tuesday, what made you decide to eliminate gluten? Did you have any symptoms that cued you in on an intolerance issue?

@ Tuesday, what made you decide to eliminate gluten? Did you have any symptoms that cued you in on an intolerance issue?

My husband was actually doing some research on Dysautonomia for me (he has access to medical journals via University library access) and found information suggesting that gluten acts directly on the autonomic nervous system, and is thought to contribute to neurological symptoms across various illnesses. This was enough for me to give a gluten-free trial a shot.

I can't state with complete certainty that that's what is responsible, but I have noticed a large improvement in brain fog and some gastro-intestinal symptoms since going gluten-free.

I can't find any medical journals through a google search, but here is a paper outlining the hypothesis: http://lloydchiro.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/The_gluten_syndrome__A_neurological_disease.pdf

Tuesday

This is a really good article. I have almost taken my son gluten free but I have held off for a few reasons. My son has had the gluten tissue sensitive test and it was negative. My son has no food allergies either. However a recent neurotransmitter test indicated high Glutamate in the brain and low GABA.

The doctor that my son is using asked if we ate out a lot because MSG can cause this problem and so can gluten. However, the doctor did not recommend that I take my son gluten free. Instead he put him on a supplement called NAC. NAC will lower Glutamate and so will Taurine. Taurine will help build up GABA and will lower Glutamate. Dr. Nancy Muller has an article online called Lowering Glutamate. She mentions that going Gluten free is one way of lowering glutamate but also mentions other supplements as well. If going gluten free does not help totally, you might want to look at NAC and Taurin. I may eventually take my son Gluten free, but I want to explore some other options first.

Here is the article I was refering to. Hope it helps.http://www.rlcure.com/glutamate2.html

There is a blood test that will identify whether or not you have a gluten allergy. I tried the gluten-free diet for a summer and my symptoms did not improve - in fact, I was worse. I could not tolerate the gluten-free diet and lost a lot of weight, was nauseated all the time, and had a lot of abdominal pain - my physician instructed me to quit the diet and I almost immediately felt better. There is some research that indicates gluten is the culprit in the majority of autoimmune diseases and I have seen vast improvement in some people with MS who go gluten-free. I just don't think it helps AAG - at least not mine.

I will be looking into the possibility of a gluten allergy, because so many of the symptoms are familiar. I have migraine, eczema, chronic constipation, and ataxia in addition to dysautonomia and these were all mentioned in the article. Thanks so much Tuesday!

I would highly suggest trying gluten free, also getting rid of any thing in the diet that can cause neurological problems. When I cleaned up my diet...got rid of gum (aspartame) diet coke, processed food, and gluten....my brain fog cleared up. I am still shocked because I had the fog for a year and a half. I mean bad fog, like I almost had to quit my job as a Nurse because it wasn't safe fog. The other thing I changed was I started drinking only filtered water. I thought if I am going to go clean I am going to go clean all the way.

What is filtered water? I have heard of this term but don't know what it is.

That's interesting. I'm going to check into this some more. By the way, our family had gluten free Belglan waffles this morning and they were tasty. The pure maple syrup was also a treat.

My brain fog has improved over 90% since cutting out the 5 most common food allergens out of my diet (wheat, soy, dairy, peanuts, eggs) and eating non processed non gmo food. My overall health as improved dramatically and brain fog pretty much non existent. I have changed my diet. I also eat a raw clove or garlic every day and drink 2tbs of Apple cider vinegar and have become more active.

Artluvr, to answer your question about what foods make me worse, peanutbutter, eggs, gluten products, dairy, corn. Sounds pretty close to Rosey1125's diet. I recently decided to try a lower histamine diet because I think my histamine levels have a lot to do with my bp drops and brain fog.

Sorry for the delay in an answer. I'm not on here so much as I used to be. I hope you find some relief soon!