Net And Amines Connection

est_sunshine

I've just recently made an interesting observation. People with pots have trouble with histamine and other amine reactions, from food, pollen, heat, stress etc. Ive read that NET is also affected by amines Reuptake of NE is competitive with a variety of naturally occurring amines and drugs. See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1518795/ . I guess this is why antihistamines help some with POTS. Would love to see more research into modulating NET, please post if you know more!

Thank you for posting this article. I will email it to our cardiologist. My son actully takes Zertic and Singular. According to his last neurotransmitter testing, his norepinephrine, histamine, and a few other levels are high. My son also takes the extended release clonidine so he can sleep at night. We are working with a doctor to try and get my son's GABA levels up. From researching, I am understanding the getting the Gaba up will also help lower norepinephrine. If this does not seem to help, our doctor said he would start my son on something to lower the norepineprine levels.

Rachel

that article is discussing a few well known and potential norepinephrine transporter inhibitors. Only one or two of them are dietary and I doubt they are anywhere near as potent as the chemical ones listed at the start of the article. Not seeing the histamine connection at all - histamine's effects are mainly microcirculatory whereas norepinephrine transporters occur on large sympathetic synapses, in some immune cells and in the brain stem.

Norepinephrine's effects in the brain are the opposite to peripherally. In the brain it acts as an alpha 2 receptor agonist suppressing sympathetic outflow so cerebral gaba would work in synergy with norepinephrine rather than suppress it. gaba is mainly a central neurotransmitter whereas norepinephrine is used in the entire central and peripheral sympathetic nervous system.