Bp Meds Designed To Lower Bp Make Mine Go Up?

Kham

So, apparently I'm weird. Not a shocker...lol! My bp always runs on the low side. Recently I was put on two different meds and told to watch out because it might make my bp even lower. The first is tizanadine for my EDS which help with my muscle twitches at night. (It does help btw.) The next is propranolol for my PVC's. (kinda helps) Anyway, my bp has not gone down it has gone to almost normal. It's been running about 115/75. My energy is a bit better but I have been having horrible sadness, crying & wanting to withdrawl from everything. I absolutely would rather deal with my low bp. I wonder if since my autonomic system is wacky that these meds affect me in the exact opposite way they would "normal" people? Anyone have experience with this?

I'm not sure why it does that to you, but I will mention a parallel that happens in another disease. People with a pheochromocytoma(tumor of adrenal gland that causes high blood pressure) cannot take a beta blocker. If they do, it makes their blood pressure go up. I don't pretend to understand why, but it is a paradoxical reaction also. They have to start with an alpha blocker.

Atenolol made me cry uncontrollably, so I got off of it, and now am on Bystolic, another beta blocker that lasts longer in the system and is time released, and Clonidine and Losartan, for hypertension and tachycardia. I would ask your doctor about the post by Sue. I had a friend with pheochromocytoma, and her symptoms were very similar to ours. A Cat Scan should diagnose that problem.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was put on a beta blocker I had the same reaction, my bp runs around 89/52 and when I took that I ended up in the ER with chest pains and it was 140/something (I can't remember) so I had to stop it immediately. I don't have pheochromocytoma.