Vitamin D And Orthostatic Hypotension New Article

sue1234

Haha, I know, Katy, that is the first time I've seen a category name for older seniors! That whole vitamin d thing in seniors makes sense, as last year my husband and I were talking about how seniors just go down-hill once put in a nursing home. I was mentioning that they no longer get sunshine, so could only imagine how low their vitamin d levels were. I didn't have a clue it would directly be linked to their frailty upon standing, but was thinking more along the lines of their moods and well-being.

I have tried to get my elderly parents to ask their doctors to test their vitamin d levels, but they just blow it off, and they say they are getting some in their multi-vitamins. They kind of look at me as a hypochondriac anyway, so anything I suggest is just because of that. They don't take me seriously.

I have a feeling we will find out that vitamin d is more powerful than we even know now when it comes to long term health. And you're right...I never thought of how little sunlight people in nursing homes get....how depressing. It would be interesting to see if nursing home patients that were regularly exposed to 15-20 minutes of sunlight daily faired better than their peers. And what an easy answer it would be to improving their health and quality of life if it helped.

It's hard to get parents to listen. My mom does because she has many similar issues as I have and knows I'm pretty good at research but my dad doesn't listen to anyone (including his wife) except the doctor and of course getting him to the doctor is an act of God. It's interesting to be at that age where the roll reversal between you and your parents starts to happen.

"Orthostatic hypotension, a condition that mostly affects 'oldest-old' (i.e. ≥80 years) adults......."

So between this and POTS I guess that could explain why I feel like I'm about 90 years old most days huh? :o

• 3 months later...

I had very low vit d (8) and turned out that it had caused osteomalacia...bone softening and the bone scan showed tiny cracks all through my skeleton. Many of us have mast cell issues and this can cause bit d depletion as bit d tries to stablise the mast cells.