Sleep Problems And Elevating Bed

Hello, POTSies. I'm kind of new to this whole thing, having only been diagnosed with POTS a few months ago, and we're still struggling to find the right medication for me. I've been having trouble sleeping for more than a week now, and I was hoping you guys would share some tips for falling to sleep faster, and getting a more restful nights sleep. I know sleep issues are common with POTS, but I don't really know how to start trying to fix them. If possible, I'd like some home-remedies, natural tips, etc. I want to try things like that before I try any sort of medication.

Also, I've heard that elevating the head of your bed helps some POTS patients, and I was hoping you could share some low-budget ways of doing that. I tried just using multiple pillows, but I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong, or if it just doesn't work, because it only served to give me a neckache...

Thanks everyone!

Sleepytime tea. Setting a routine for bedtime. No electronics in the bedroom (which, I frequently break though, because there are days I don't get out of bed, but try to have them all off by a certain time). If you're able to, a nice warmish shower/bath before bed always helps me (although I frequently cannot do this right before bed, just because my BP drops too much, and I need a sufficient amount of my Midodrine in me to stay upright in the shower, even with a shower chair). Music or white noise (I use a fan on low). Comfortable clothing and bedding, which can sound odd, but I have some crazy neuropathy to go with my POTS, and being physically comfortable can make a difference. I used to sleep naked because I couldn't handle constriction, but lately, I can handle two pairs of shorts, and my cami tops, and not have too bad a problem. I also love t-shirt sheets for softness.

As for elevating bed, you can use bricks, or walmart sells bed elevators for $11, I believe. They are over in the household storage stuff where the rubbermaid containers and shoe trees are stocked. I personally haven't used any of those, as I sleep sitting up a lot because my heart races if I lay flat, but I've heard others use them happily.

Welcome to the forum!

My landlord bought us a 6 by 6 piece of lumber. So elevated head by 6 inches. It eliminated my everyday headache, pressure. I still have random headaches. I got better sleep after this and fluids and wasn't napping during day then able to exercise. I added one lifestyle change at a time for a few days. That way I could see the effect it had on my symptoms

Research blue light and the effect it has on sleep. I switched to an orange lightbulb in the lamp next to my bed. Really any research you can do on the pineal gland is pretty interesting as it relates to our sleep/wake cycles. Melatonin and valerian root can be helpful, but for some, effect blood pressure, so watch that. Make sure you have everything you need when you go to bed so you don't have to keep standing up and making your POTS angry.

• 2 weeks later...

You can get some pine 2x4's cut to match the length of your bed (or slightly shorter). I had about 8 of these for my old twin bed. Then you also want a 2x4 cut to match the width of your bed (or less). Place the single short piece across the top of your bed frame or platform (along the top where you will lay your head). This short piece will raise one end by 2 inches. Then lay the long pieces on top of that, spaced out as needed. Then your mattress can rest on top of the long pieces. The spaces in between will also help your mattress breath better.

Google: PureFit Adjustable Wedge System (Sorry, I'm not positive if a direct link is okay.)

I have no personal experience with how well this pillow set works, but I've heard really good things and been wanting to try it for a while now. I can't elevate my entire bed, or at least my husband might not appreciate it as much as I would. I use lots of pillows at the moment, but they're never perfect. They're always slipping and sliding or causing some parts of my body to be more or less elevated and uncomfortable. This wedge "system" is adjustable and looks considerably more comfortable than the single wedge pillows I've tried before. One day these wedges will be mine. Oh yes, one day! :P

At the moment i'm using a carefully constructed mound of pillows to keep my head elevated. Most nights I manage to stay there but it's far from a perfect solution. I've tried elevating the head of my bed some years ago but found I would slip down the bed (and this when the bedhead was only elevated by about 4 inches) a bit and it would wake me and I'd have to 'climb' up to my pillows again. I have a new bed and mattress (the other one was so old and lumpy) so perhaps it's time to give elevating head of bed another go.

blue