No Satiety, Anyone Else?

valiz

I have had POTS, NHM, CFS/ME symptoms starting around age 8-10. There were no diagnoses back in the 60-70's. I was not diagnosed until 4 yrs ago at age 58 at Johns Hopkins. My Dr. feels it has progressed to PAF. I have had no tests except the TTT at Johns Hopkins where the diagnosis was made. I have many symptoms of dysautonomia, but I I was wondering if anyone else has or had symptoms of no satiety? I can fast for quite awhile without symptoms but once I eat I don't feel satisfied or full. So it takes so much will power to control my eating and eat a proper 3 small meals a day + small snacks. I have gained 15-20 pounds in the last 4 years. I have very slow digestion/emptying, constipation (I take Miralax 2x's a day).

I am new to the forum as a member but have been educating myself here for 4 years and have learned SO much from others postings and links. Thanks everyone. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

liz

Sounds like it could be related to hyperinsulinemia or hypoglycemia. When you have high insulin levels, which can can quickly drop your blood sugar after meals, your body sends signals to keep eating in order to keep your blood sugar up. Hyperinsulinism can also lead to weight gain. I have been struggling with some similar issues and am waiting to see an endocrinologist to get some more answers.

I don't feel hungry or full like I used to. I have been able to figure out that when I am feeling "sicker" it is hunger. I feel terrible when I am hungry and when I eat too much. The hardest thing for me is to prepare a meal before I start to feel "sick/hungry" because I just plain forget.

I do best if I just make my food when I think I should eat, eat a small meal and then do this again later in the day. When I get too hungry I have to eat something to even feel good enough to prepare a meal because I feel so bad. Yogurt is my go to quick fix. I have to always be aware that I won't feel full, but I will feel better. I usually tell myself, eat this small amount and if you don't feel better after 1/2 hour you can have more, and by then I have forgotten to eat more.

If I have dinner plans, like going out to eat or to a potluck, I eat before I go because if it takes too long to get the food, I will get so sick I have to leave. I also always keep trail mix in my purse. Going out to eat is problematic in that they always serve too much food, I have to force myself to ask to take 1/2 the food to go.

When I first got sick I lost 20lbs in the first month due to not feeling hungry. Then I started to gain weight because I didn't know when to stop. Eating is almost like a skill you have to practice.