Disabilty Benefits

Gemma

Hi everyone. Does anyone know if we are allowed to get some kind of help, like disability benefits with our condition? And if we are how do I apply for it.

I have been sick for a year now. Not able to work and had to take medical leave from school. I finished 1st year of Physical Therapy school and have 2 more years to go. This is my second degree and I am really upset that I had to stop school because of this illness. Now, I am not in school and out of job.

My husband is working, so I am not sure if I am allowed for any type of disability for the time that I am out of school and not working. They start sending me bills for school soon, because I am off the program I have to start paying them and my loan already is 30000. I am so stressed about it. I cant go back to school yet and if i am not full time student I need to start paying loans, but how can I if I am unable to work. This is so frustrating.

If anyone know about disability and what to do with school loan, please give an advise because I dont know what to do. My husband cant keep up with all the bills plus all my medical bills which are a lot. I see doctors every week and sometimes 2-3 times a week and each visit is $35 copayment. Now they want me to start paying off lans. This is crazy.

Please help. Thanks to all of you.

I have been on SSDI for 5yrs now. You can go online on the social security site and fill out the lengthy application to start the process. Do be prepared to possibly get denied the first time around, it happens to majority of people, but then you can het an SSDI lawyer who will help you win. The lawyers only receive money if you win and then the lawyer gets a percentage of you claim or the max they can charge, there is a cap (max dollar amount) they can charge (it was about $2500 for me I think). The money is taken out of your first check so you never have the money taken from your account really. The first check will back pay you from the time you originally applied, so if you apply today but dont win your case until 6 months from now, they pay you for 6months of back pay and the lawyer fee is taken from that amount. You do have to be disabled for i think 5 or 6 months before disability will kick in and pay.

It can be a lengthy process so be prepared. It can take months or years so sometimes getting the lawyer to help is a good idea. To answer your main question though, yes you can get disability for your condition though not technically for "POTS". For me I am labelled as a "heart condition" so its based on your symptoms and what disables you. Good luck!

About the school loans, there isn't much you can do about them but pay. If you default on student loans they will withhold the funds from income tax returns and if you have disability payments they will take the money from those too. Its unfortunate that they dont have more help for the disabled especially when it comes to loans.

I'm not sure if you have to be denied first before a lawyer takes your case, it wouldn't hurt to give one a call and ask. I applied first, got denied, then got the SSDI lawyer. Maybe someone else here will know the answer to this.

As far as your husband's income, that doesn't affect you at all. It is solely based on you. Your past income and how much money you have paid in from past paychecks. I believe you can find out how much you would be eligible for through social security. They dont take any other family members incomes into consideration so that's not a problem for you.

And if you have children or dependents you also receive money for them if you get approved for SSDI.

As far as student loans go, You can get a hardship deferment. Check with your lender. You will still accrue interest, I believe but at least you could hold off on payments until you are working. As far as SSDI most lawyers want your case after you have been denied because that is when they make the money. I did my SSDI interview on the phone after I had gotten the papers and filled them out and gave her the info that I had on my paper. She had some helpful suggestions. I was approved in 2 months time without a lawyer's help. I had to wait 5 months, 6 months really because they pay for the previous month.

I wish you all the best as you decide what to do. Praying you have a good day.

You can actually enlist the help of an SSDI attorney from the beginning. Any legitimate SSDI attorney does not get paid unless you are ultimately awarded SSDI. Their fee is then allowed to be 25% of your SSDI backpay and first check up to a maximum of $6000. It comes out of your SSDI payment on the first payment they send you. SSA routes the payment directly to your attorney. I am awarded SSDI based on my POTS and EDS diagnoses. It important to report all dx on the application as they will take the cumulative effect of multiple illnesses into account. My attorney also had in the contract that I had to pay administrative expenses like postage, fees for records requests from doctors, travel. My fees were just under $350 for expenses. If you have enough work credits with SSA to qualify forfor SSDI, you should have been receiving a statement each year from the SSA that shows what the approximate monthly payment would be if you were awarded SSDI. That statement also tells you if you have enough work credits to qualify.

Hi, there is a discharge application, for total and permanent disability. You can find the forms on line, print several, you will need them all. Your doctor has to fill it out and sign it, its a good idea to read everything, know the form from start to finish and make sure your doctor makes no mistakes. If he does just use a whole new form, tell him to use no initials, print everything so that its easy to read. Everything gets denied the first time. But after three years they will give you a total discharge of your student loans, that is if you are not able to work otherwise you get tho pay them back.

Hi, loulou, where would I find those discharge papers for the student loans?

I wish I would be able to go back to school and get my degree, but so far its not looking good. I need to start school in 6 month and I am no near recovery. They will start sending me bills soon and it scares me. I know I can defer it for now, which means the interest will be accumulating, but I don't have to pay for now. But i don't know how long I will have this option. If they find out I am not coming back to school at all, they will want me to pay. My husband is already paying for everything, house, cars, bills, food, my insurance and all medical bills. We cant afford to pay student loans with one salary now.

I know many of you are in similar situation probably, so any advise would be so helpful.

Thank you all for help.