Research Summary From Autonomic Symposium

HopeSprings

Thanks for finding and posting this, Naomi !! Great info!!

I'm really curious about the autoimmune connections being made. Can't wait for more info about this...

1. Autoimmune basis for postural tachycardia syndrome (POTS)

D.C. Kem, H. Li, X. Yu, L.E. Okamoto, S.R. Raj Oklahoma University Health Sciences Center and VAMC, Oklahoma City, OK, USA and Vanderbilt University and VAMC, Nashville, TN, USA

Thank you! Thank you so much for posting this. Can't wait to email this to our cardiologist in Oklahoma City, Ok.

Rachel

Thanks for posting! Very good information. I think one of my favorite things to see was this one:

5. Researchers at Mayo Clinic sought to determine whether the deconditioning that is seen in a large

percentage of patients with orthostatic intolerance was the cause of their orthostatic intolerance, or a
consequence of it. The conclusion they reached was that “[m]arkers of deconditioning are not or are only
marginally associated with the orthostatic HR [heart rate] response in patients with OI. This finding
suggests that a high prevalence of deconditioning in these patients is a phenomenon associated with
OI but unlikely to be the primary causative factor of OI. Although OI patients clearly benefit from
physical reconditioning programs, our findings may in part explain the variable and often incomplete
response to this approach.”
I know exercise is good for us, but I hope this will help doctors stop blaming everything on deconditioning!

Thanks for posting Naomi!

I liked this one too:

Mayo Clinic researchers sent follow up surveys to pediatric POTS patients who were seen at the Mayo

Clinic between 2003 and 2010.
18.2% of those who responded reported a complete resolution of theirPOTS symptoms, while 52.8% reported persistent but improved symptoms. The remaining 29% had
no improvement or worsened over time. Male patients were twice as likely to report recovery.
An evaluation of the mental health of all of these patients was similar to the national norm
I especially like the part about the mental health being similar to the national norm. Seems like males are also more likely to recover in ME/CFS situations. May go back to that whole thing about the female immune system being so much more complicated than males?