Newbie On The Road To Diagnosis

LittleOne

Hi all

I'm 30, female and based in the UK.

About 6 weeks ago at work (I'm a midwife) after lunch I got quite lightheaded, dizzy, breathless and had profuse sweating. I was sent home from work after an ECG as my pulse was racing and have remained on sick leave. Bloods have so far been fine.

I started to notice that my heart rate increased dramatically whenever I stood from lying or sitting, I become lightheaded and dizzy and my resperation rate increases. I have a finger probe I use for work so can monitor my heart rate and O2 saturations at home. I have also noticed if i'm stood for too long or out shopiing that my nails become blue and when checked with my finger probe I actually have de-sats down to 91-92%. I get breathless very easily. Even just changing the sheets on my bed by heart rate has gotten up to 160.

It took me three GP's before I found one who knew of POTS and felt I had symptoms. I have so far had a 24 ECG, results not back yet and am awaiting a cardiology review. My GP is happy for me to return to work but not in a clinical capacity as she doesn't want me on my feet for too long (not a lot of sitting involved with midwifery!). I'm just waiting for our occupational health department to let me back.

I'm just wondering if POTS can come on all of a sudden? I don't think I've had these symptoms before but I have had very little energy for quite a while.

I also have depression for which I'm on Citalopram (recently reduced to 10mg) and endometriosis for which I'm not currently on any 'treatment' for (my educated choice). I may also have fibomyalgia as the slightest touch or pressure on my skin is painful.

Nice to virtually meet you all!

x

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are struggling with such symptoms.

Yes, some people do have an insidious onset of POTS. However, interestingly you also note you have some other co-morbid conditions that frequently coexist with POTS. So, it may be that this is just another aspect of whatever underlying process is going on that is causing your other symptoms as well.

POTS is generally considered to be a symptom rather than a disease itself, so most of us are looking for the "cause" of our POTS.

Fibromyalgia, ME/CFS, POTS, Interstitial cystitis, IBS, Migraines, Ehlers-Danlos or Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, Autonomic Neuropathy, Lyme Disease, Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia, Mast Cell Activation Syndrome, all seem to have overlapping symptoms and blurring between the lines as they frequently occur together and run along parallel paths. I think endometriosis has also been discussed on here a fair amount if you search the forum for it.

There is an area of research going on now in what are being called "Neuro-Iimmune-Endocrine" diseases and I think this is where we will likely find a lot of the answers we need to address both POTS and a lot of these other things. They are all so very closely linked you can't take them apart. They have to be looked at together and as a whole or I don't think they'll ever find the answers we need.

Hope you find a warm welcome and answers to your questions here. :)

Good luck on your adventure!

HI LittleOne, welcome to our forums! Although I've had symptoms all of my life my dysautonomia set off full blown after having surgery under ga. I've heard of more people having sudden onset ie after a virus and even when they couldn't think of a cause at all. Hope you will find answers here, at least you will be supported as all of us understand!

Hi Little One,

My pots came on suddenly- I can name the date in March. I gave birth at Christmas and was in perfect health to my knowledge so it can out of the blue with a funny turn...I just began to shake all over, dizzy, sweating...just as you described. My sister had a similar onset 2 years ago and we now know that our underlying cause is EDS. When I look back, there were signs- I fainted quite a few times in my teens but I always thought I was because I hadn't eaten properly.

I hope you find the answers and the help you need! This site and the UK Facebook groups have been brilliant sources of information for us. STARS helpline is great for medical contacts too.

Best wishes

Nuala

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm wondering if my GA laparoscopy last September triggered something. My energy levels have been rubbish since then but I don't recal any POTS symptoms. So confusing!

I'm also wondering if I have EDS as can pop my shoulders in and out at will! Been able to do that since I was a kid.

Noonoo what are the UK Facebook groups, can't seem to find any?

x

If you look up the Beighton scale and Brighton scale for EDS it will give you some idea of whether you fit the criteria. The Facebook groups are Pots uk and Uk potsies- they're great for info and support just like here. There's a hypermobilty uk support group too if EDS turns out to be a trigger.

Welcome to the forum LittleOne.

Janet