Too-Tense Core Muscles

sue1234

Something I've developed after POTS began was tense muscles. I mean, they are so tense that it is actually normal for me. They don't get tired of being tense because it is their normal!

Sometimes my chest muscles tense so bad I am short of breath. It might dawn on me after hours of this to just relax. I do, and I get a few fleeting moments where everything is better, but then they tense back up.

My lower abdominal muscles do the same. Somehow, due to that, it contributes to what I think of as a mostly stopping of my intestines. It can last for days until my muscles relax some, and then I notice the intestines go back to their gurgling, which to me means things are moving.

The last thing is my hip/upper thigh area. It gets so tense now that I am leaning forward and they hurt when I try and do a few minutes of walking.

So I guess it is just general tensing all through the core area. I wish I could say I have six-pack abs due to it, but no.

I have tried off/on magnesium, and it seems to help some, but it brings on other issues if I seem to take too much.

Anyone else have this?? What in the world is causing this??

I don't have it but I would imagine it is a result of the constant fight/flight state that hyperPOTS is causing. When you have an adrenaline rush your muscles tense up because your body is assuming it will need to flee quickly or fight hard. HyperPOTS is keeping your body in that state. I'm really sure what to suggest other than learning some meditation or breathing exercises that might bring this state of being down.

I know what ur explaining, I have the same thing but thought it was just me. I never asked my docs what causes it but take muscle relaxers to help and it helps some but not completely. I always assumed it was lack of blood flow to muscles due to abnormal circulation but now that I read katybug's post that's an interesting thought.

My chest muscles do that more so than my abdominal muscles do but it's annoying and very painful to the touch.

I usually don't realize how bad it is till someone will hug me or I pick up one of my cats and they push into it and wow ouch it hurts.

I've never made a big deal about it to the doctors, I always chalked it up to stress and how fast my heart runs.

That and how when I'm startled I could prolly chuck a Volkswagen over my head LOL so I guess all that "oomph" has to be stored somewhere.

I tried a muscle relaxer once, that was not a pretty thing. IT took all that oomph away alright and I discovered that's all that I have holding me together LOL

Relaxation, calming music and deep breathing are about the only things to ever really help for me. And even that doesn't totally stop it. Just part of the strange that's me :-)

"I tried a muscle relaxer once, that was not a pretty thing. IT took all that oomph away alright and I discovered that's all that I have holding me together LOL"

That is so, well, funny but pertinent!! I have wondered if the muscles are tensing just to hold up all my crooked bones(scoliosis, etc.)! I have been wondering if a muscle relaxant would help, just haven't brought any of this up to my doctor yet. I HATE to take anything that might take away what little physical energy I have.

Magnesium citrate helps me with this. I use Natural Calm and ad a pinch

of sea salt. I can't have a normal non painful bm unless I take this so I figured it has something to do with chronic dehydration.

I took muscle relaxers until I realized they were making my eyes lazy. My right eye esp would wander. Funny not so funny story. I saw a neuro optomologist for this problem and he was clueless. Got off meds and problem was gone.

also, fwiw, certain foods are known to cause pain. Tomatoes affect me but

not sure what else. Magnesium helps this reaction tho. fwiw Doctors Best chelated mag has a good rep but never helped my bms.

tc ... d