Anyone Have A Reaction To The Nuclear Stress Test Contrast?

LMG

I am scheduled for tomorrow and I am nervous about what they are injecting more than anything else. I have been in a slump for two months and am nauseas and shaky as it is Would not want anything else to make me feel worse. One nurse said no one reacts to it, it is just radioactive. Another said it could be a problem.

Anyone?

I had never had any reaction to contrast, until I got injected with I-123 MIBG, the reaction only lasted two minutes, but it was the worst. Lab tech said I was just anxious about the needle, I just wanted to tell him "******* you have no idea how many needles I've had in me, I have zero anxiety about needles". It felt like fire going up my arm, sent me into the most severe hot flash I've ever had then I dry heaved for about two minutes, got drenched in sweat, and then I was fine. But gadolinium, and all those other radioactive dyes never did anything to me.

Hi LMG,

I was concerned about the radioactive stuff too, but had no reaction to it at all. {odd actually given that we can react to ordinary things, but radioactives are ok... ;) }

The only issue I had with the test is that while I was sitting waiting for the second scan (post stress test/treadmill), my BP dropped suddenly so I had to lay down. The techs gave me water and googled 'Pots' because even though I said I'd be fine, they were a little freaked out. My post exercise scan ended up being delayed and since I had water in between, I'm not sure if that would have affected the quality of the test. I think it's a test that could provide some good information though.

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and hope it all goes well!

Thanks to all of you.I had no reaction to the radioactive injection and they said no one ever does react so I think for me it was a test worth taking to make sure cardiac function is normal.

They said for those who could not get their heart rate up enough on treadmill due to inability to do any exercise, they can pharmacologically induce a higher heart rate. I asked about it and they said it was a vasodilator which I knew would be trouble. Two patients had the pharmacological induction and they both said it was quite weird and horrid for a few minutes and they were given caffeine (coffee) to counteract a headache. Not giving out medical advice but that certainly sounds like a recipe for disaster for POTS or dysautonomia patients.

I'm glad to hear that you got along well with the test :)

It's interesting that you mentioned the alternative to exercise. When I had the test, a woman who had the injection (instead of treadmill) was chatting with one of the techs and describing in detail, how the injection made her body react. The tech said he tells people they will feel horrible but it will only last a few minutes. I was listening to her thinking 'oh wow, she was describing how I feel with Pots !!' ...and oh how I wished POTS would be over in a few minutes...

Definitely a good point for us to be aware of it being a vasodilator!

Hi,

I had a similar reaction to cbaki for several of my MRI/CT scans. (It was like being shot up with gasoline! Most painful thing I have ever experienced. The shaky nasty nausea after is the big adrenaline surge .) But, in retrospect during many of those scans where I had a reaction I was very symptomatic and was having Mast Cell reactions to even saline. My veins were so scarred they couldn't get the needle in. I had a MIBG just recently with no problem because I wasn't symptomatic, go figure. I would ask your Doc if there is something you could take before that won't get in the way of the test.

Good luck! Keep positive LMG!

Had a horrible reaction to gadolinium the last time I had an MRI. Just as others discribed, felt like fire being shot into me. Heart rate went through the roof. Problem was, I couldn't get the attention of anyone, because of the noise of the machine. Was not until they pulled me out and I was incoherent that they realized there was a problem. Fortunately I had dosed with antihistamines before hand, or may have been much worse. So just be cautious, we need these tests, but have to be aware our bodies not like most. Glad things went well for you LMG! Hope you get good test results.