Question About Dr. Bellew. Need Advise Please!

Gemma

Hi everyone. I was referred to Dr. Bellew by the cardiologist that I saw today. I called to schedule an appointment and they had a cancelation for tomorrow and i took that spot. I never heard of ostheopatic medicine, but Dr. Goodkin says he saw good results in some patients. This doctor doesn't take insurance so its a little expensive, but I am willing to try it. I wanted to know if anyone had any benefit from it. Also, does anyone know if any ostheopath doctors take insurances or is it the same as with holistic doctors not excepting any insurances. Thanks everyone.

Hi Gemma. I saw an osteopath many years ago for a back injury. I had great success with him for that issue. He took insurance so I think there should be someone where you are that takes insurance, too. But, if your doc recommended this one, it might be worth the money. I hope you have a successful appointment tomorrow.

Hi Katybug. Thanks for reply. I really want to see this doctor, but he doesnt accept insurance and his first visit is like $250. With all my medical bills and my husband the only one working, its very expensive for us. But i am willing to try if it could help somehow. I am pretty sure there are other ostheopath doctors around my area, but i dont know if they work with pots patients. The doctor that refered me says he is working with pots patients and have seen a lot of improvement.

Osteopaths take a much more holistic approach so it wouldn't surprise me to find one that is having success with pots patients. But, like any other doctor, finding one with pots experience may be the hard part. I know what you mean about the no insurance bit....my oldLyme doc didn't take insurance and it was a stretch. But, she helped me so it ended up being worth it. Of course, it's a gamble to know whether it will be worth it or not financially until you give it a try.

Hi KMS. I actually saw Dr. Goodkin yesterday for the first time and liked him a lot. He knows a lot about POTS. Also, I liked that he has close contact with patients, he provides his cell phone so you can be in touch with him. I actually called him today for am advice and he took his time to talk to me, which is very nice considering that I saw him only once. He also, referred me to see Dr. Bellew. I called yesterday and they had a cancelation for today so they put me in. How long it took you to get an appointment with him? And did Dr. Goodkin refer you to him or someone else.

Well anyways, today was my first visit with him so I don't know if there is any improvement yet. I don't think one session will do anything, of course I wish for a miracle but I know its not happening. He seems to know what he is talking about. While performing manipulation he explained everything that he was doing. I am in Physical Therapy school, so everything that he talked about made sense to me. However, I don't understand the the fluid manipulation treatment. I am on my first year of PT school, so didn't get to the manual therapy part yet in school, only slightly. I know PTs do similar manipulation treatments for muscular injuries, but he says that by performing manipulation he is shifting the cerebrospinal fluid to the right places and I don't understand how by just slightly touching me he is able to do it, but you never know. Dr. Goodkin said that it helped many of his patients so I decided to try it. It is expensive though, so I am not sure how many sessions I will be able to afford. I called Dr. Goodkin this morning before my appointment and asked if he can recommend someone else who takes insurance, but he said, there are very few doctors who know how to treat POTS and dr. Bellew is the best he knows so far and that most of this doctors do not take insurance. I went online and found a whole bunch of ostheopatic doctors, but most of them are just regular family doctors and do not do this kind of treatment, so I decided to give it a shot. I started feeling pain in my neck and my lower back, so I guess something is happening, and I am hoping its a good thing. I read online that people do experience pain first few days after treatment and then it should subside. It feels like someone did a deep tissue massage for me, but during session he only barely touched me. I will keep you updated if i see some changes.

I was hoping that people who saw him could reply, but nobody did, so maybe they were all cured :)

• 2 years later...

Hi Gemma

my daughter has POTS like symptoms, depending on which doctor we visit, she has it or she doesn't. I saw you had threads on Dr Lawrence Bellew prior to going to see him. My daughter has pain in the back of her head, neck and shoulders for over 3 years. I was curious if your visit to Dr Bellew was of any assistance. We are scheduled to go in to see him in a few weeks and wanted to know if your daughter received any relief. Thurs-far, no Dr. , chiropractor or acupuncturist has help her whatsoever for pain.. 

Hi Tom,

It was just suggested to me that I have my neurologist evaluate me for occipital neuralgia as a differential or comorbid diagnosis to my migraines because of the pain I now experience at the back of my head. It may be something for you to look I to for your daughter, if it hasn't been already.

This is a link to a thread I have going on the topic. In the thread, there is a link that explains the Co dition. 

Edited by Katybug

Hi, Tom,

I don't have any experience with Dr. Bellow, sorry. However, I wanted to add that many POTS patients experience something called "Coat Hanger Pain" in the neck - specifically in the suboccipital and paracervical regions. (Head/neck/shoulders region) that is usually related to Orthostatic Hypotension, but not always.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22711896

http://forums.dinet.org/index.php?/topic/12979-coat-hanger-pain-neck-pain/