Does Everyone With Dysautonomia/pots Have Anxiety?

Guest Hanice

I did not read all of the posts here so my apologies if I am repeating something. Anxiety as a defined medical condition must meet certain criteria. For example General Anxiety Disorder. I do not meet these criteria and do not have an anxiety disorder. I tend to worry less than most people. There was a study at Vanderbilt showing less anxiety overall in people with POTS than the normal population. This said I do experience a feeling of my heart racing and an adrenaline like feeling multiple times a day. So does a person with a Pheochromocytoma and they do not have an anxiety disorder either.

Although I don't think I suffer from anxiety disorder, and it is actually the tachy and adrenaline surges, I will say that because it took me so long to find help, and a diagnosis, that the more I went to doctors , the more tests I got that came back negative, the more anxious and depressed I became about my condition. I felt like people thought I was a hypochondriac, that I was just lazy, out of shape, or had a mental issue. One of my docs completely dismissed the idea of my blood pressure being 70s/40s as ' normal' for an 'athletic' person ( which i was definitely not, I'm just naturally small). I cried after that appointment, b/c instead of helping me she just told me I needed to ' believe in myself more'.

I switched doctors. The next one thought it was anxiety, b/c of the breathing issues trying to sleep, and in a way it was anxiety from the adrenaline surges. But she agreed to send me to a cardiologist for further tests, and I am so grateful to her for that, because now I have my diagnosis and a lot of that depression and anxiety is gone.

Now it's just tachy and adrenaline surges -_-

No anxiety for me. During my bedridden days and also my initial return to work when I was worried that I wasn't going to get truly well enough to function I did have considerable worry and fear. But not anxiety. I definitely see the difference in Dysaut and anxiety and I feel bad for both cases and understand the concomitant nature. But I'm just straight up POTs and now just dysaut. Good luck to all