My Cousins Tilt Table Test

Darlene

my cousin had his tilt table test a few days ago... i got to be in there with him... his bp started out at about 138/82 and his hr about 91... as soon as them tipped him upright his bp and hr went up, and after given him the nitroglycerin his bp went to about 148/114 and is hr when to 172... he had visual disturbances, had a burning sensation in the front part of his head, felt like he was gonna pass out, was twitching, vomiting, & sweating. would you say this is hyper-pots?

my cousin had his tilt table test a few days ago... i got to be in there with him... his bp started out at about 138/82 and his hr about 91... as soon as them tipped him upright his bp and hr went up, and after given him the nitroglycerin his bp went to about 148/114 and is hr when to 172... he had visual disturbances, had a burning sensation in the front part of his head, felt like he was gonna pass out, was twitching, vomiting, & sweating. would you say this is hyper-pots?

You can't get a hyper pots diagnosis properly during a tilt table according to my doctors.

I'm also not sure how the nitroglycerin comes into play. I was never given anything.

I'm hyper and my heart rate increase by nearly 100 bpm per min. I also have episodic high blood pressure (and lows) 148/114 is unpleasant but not very high for a tilt table.

He's very lucky to have your support.

Yikes! Your poor cousin... hope he's recovered somewhat. My tilt was horrific and I was down for the count for a while after... Anyway, It seems like you've got a lot to deal with personally with your own health issues, it's very kind of you to be there for your cousin.

Im not a doctor but this doesn't sound like hyper pots to me... what did the cardiologist say??

I was given nitro during my first TTT. The vomiting, sweating, lightheadedness and headache could have been from the nitro itself. It made me very sick which is apparently common. I have no idea why they gave it to me though. It made my HR/BP take off and was extremely unpleasant feeling. I remember the terrible headache very well.

Nitro is given during a tilt table test to elicit the symptoms you might otherwise experience during either prolonged standing ( as in the case for NCS) or exertion and stress ( for Potsies and hyper potsies). If they can't get you to respond with just the tilt alone, which apparently lots of people don't, they use the nitro to simulate stress.

I went down within a few minutes without the nitro, but that's b/c my cardiologist says I was so 'brittle' ( meaning sensitive? untreated? bad off?)

with pots or hyper pots, sounds like your cousin is probably one of those yeah. Like with other things, some people have strong symptoms at lower bp and hr ranges than others. For instance, my thyroid levels were at 17.9 when i was diagnosed with thyroid disease. I was almost bedridden and terribly miserable. Others have felt exactly like I did at a thyroid range of only 9. So it is just a matter of sensitivity.

Sorry if im hijacking :ph34r: ..that guy looks like a little ninja :rolleyes:

Ashley you mentioned a thyroid issue... did you develop that before or after your pots symptoms? Just wondering as my thyroid panels have been checked for years upon years trying to rule out endocrine issues before I was diagnosed w/ Pots, but recently my last two tsh levels have come back as hypo... this completely confuses me. No meds were talked about because it's just slightly lower than normal