B12 Injections/wellness Center -- Helping With Fatigue

imapumpkin

So almost 3 weeks ago I went to a wellness center near me and saw a doctor who does integrated medicine. It was a wonderful experience...the doctor knew what POTS is, has treated POTS patients before and wants to help treat all aspects of my condition. The day before I went to the wellness center i posted here about how i was too anxious to try midodrine and thanks to this doctor, i haven't had to yet!

Essentially the doctor said a reason for so much fatigue and brain fog as well as exercise intolerance is the low blood volume meaning that blood is not perfusing to the vital organs (brain, obviously, for the brain fog) and the muscles and heart etc, so no wonder exercise is that much harder for us. (Which makes me wonder how exercise is supposed to a treatment when it's difficult to exercise without enough blood flow?)...so he made the number one priority getting my blood pressure up. He put me on salt tabs (something my POTS doctor only mentioned once but never prescribed) and capsules of licorice root extract which has made a marked difference in my blood pressure, although i don't use it much because it gives me stomach pains.

The best thing this doctor prescribed for me has made a HUGE difference in my life in a short time and with my fatigue is vitamin b12 injections. Unfortunately it's not covered by insurance but it's worth the highish price. The filled syringes get sent directly to my house, and i can do the injection myself, really easily, hardly any pain...14 days in a row then 1 every 3 days for the rest of the month. I guess this is a common treatment for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome but since POTS and CFS overlap so much he says he uses it to treat POTS patients too. I have noticed a HUGE difference in my energy level and general well-being since starting the shots. I still feel fatigued at certain points during the day... I still have to sleep well into the day but after my shot i feel almost like my old self again. It's really been a godsend. My body just feels better, I don't know how else to put it.

Also I'm much happier taking a more natural treatment route than using pharmaceuticals. I have no problems with medications, but if i can solve something without worrying about drugs with side effects i would much prefer it. Also this doctor thinks he can eventually get my off my beta blocker. I'm on metoprolol and it really helps my tachycardia but he says in the long run beta blockers won't be helpful with dysautonomia so if he can find an alternative i'm happy to look into it. I just wanted to share my experience with the group. Who knows, maybe this treatment could help anyone else, and I've had a positive experience so far.

It's nice when something finally helps with this crazy mess!! I'm glad you have more energy. Nothing like feeling like a slug when it comes time to be upright to do something.

I take B-12 injections, also, that were prescribed by an integrative doctor prePOTS. It did seem to help my energy, but the big thing it helped me with was oddly my throat. Before B-12 I had an issue when sleeping. You know how you can blow a spit bubble? Well, I used to wake up feeling like a thick spit bubble in my throat, blocking my breathing. Not long after B-12, that went away. A few months ago I kept forgetting to take my B-12 injection, and sure enough, I woke up one night with that "thick spit" thing. I tried for a few days taking oral/sublingual B-12, but it didn't help. Took my injection, and it went away.

I take B12 too and notice an increase in energy. I take the injections..in my stomach. where do you do yours? And is it cyanocobalamin or methylcobalamin? If they are pre filled, I am guessing it is a compounded one.

Can you tell us more about the form, dose, mcg and where you inject?

I just take one a week.

Great it helps with no downside!!

That's great! I am not on B12 injections, as I have no insurance and can't afford them. But I do have some high potency B12 vitamins I'm about to start taking, and I hope they do something for me as well. So far my midodrine has been pretty helpful. I forgot to take a dose yesterday, after a night of ... well drinking at a class reunion of my aunt's (and dancing :) which i couldn't have done without my midodrine) and the alcohol leftover in my system was kicking my heart rate up a lot, felt miserable. Definitely remembering to take them today, and no more alcohol for me!