I Refused To Be Discharged From A&e-Now Diagnosed With Atrial Fibrillation-On Holidays And Had Frightening Episode-Can Anyone Help

E246

I had a bad episode with prolonged tachy and chest pain, was taken into hospital A&E, they could find nothing and to go home. I refused and said the system was failing me and i wanted some answers. After a lot of fuss they kept me in - found an a fib during the night, put me on a monitor for 10 day which i handed in then came away on holiday to an island in Europe. Lucky me - but it was a long planned and well earned break after setting up a company during the course of discovering and coping with pots three years ago.

I phoned for results two days ago and was told i had atrial fib as well as the pots. I have known for a long time there was something other than or being caused by pots that interfered with my heart rhythm and caused unrelenting chest pain.

I was told to see my cardi as soon as i get back for medication - Bisopromol and Flecanide. My HR is often down in the low 50's so know this may not be straight forward.

Last night i had a heart jump - which i assume is a fib and my legs went wobbly, then i started to feel very ill, light headed, BP 100/150 then hr surged to 131 with awful chest pressure, my legs and hands went numb and tingly and looked white, i felt unable to communicate.

I took some aspirin then 5mg propranolol, (which i have for emergencies). The episode went on for 2 hours with my hr surging and legs and arms tingling - i was very frightened and didn't believe it would pass. In England i would have gone to A&E but i am on an island and i don't speak too much of the language.

I woud really appreciate any advise from anyone who has a fib. A week ago i was swimming front crawl in the sea. I am still very shaky and weak today and not sure what is normal - and of course it is sunday so i can't ring any of my docs in England.

Thanks

Is there a cardiologist who specializes in this near you that you can see ASAP?????

It would seem you need to be closely monitored for awhile, and within easy distance of a good

hospital at this time should you need it.

My two cents.

You need to see a cardiologist, I think. My brother had A fib, collapsed one day and was hospitalized, to find that he had something called WPW or Wolff Parkinson White syndrome. Basically it's an extra electrical lead in the heart that fires off, causing afib. They did surgery and blasted it away, and he's doing much better now. There are a few reasons for AFib, but that's one of them. I don't know of any AFIB that doesn't need to be investigated pronto though! I would suggest seeing a cardiologist

Emma,

sorry you're having problems.

From what I read, with AFib you really need to see a cardiologist - preferably an electrophysiologist like Sarah suggested. Some AFib episodes self terminate, but when the don't you may need cardioversion to "shock" your heart back into normal rhythm.

As others have said above, you should be monitored for a while. Going to the ER is not a bad idea. If it's AFib and they catch it on the ECG they should be able to help you - language barriers aside.

Please stay safe and keep us posted.

Alex

Emma,

I'm glad that you stood your ground and refused to leave! It's soo frustrating and disappointing that it has to come to that.

Hopefully this new information will help them to treat you. I remember reading about your struggles with more extreme heart related symptoms.

I only had one episode that by description the docs thought might be a-fib and it was absolutely terrifying. It felt like my heart wasn't pumping at all, but was completely out of control. My monitor couldn't read it at all. I was afraid to move suddenly because as much as I wanted it to stop, it felt like stopping it abruptly could be dangerous. It was unlike any other rhythm issues I've had.

I hope you are recovering today and will be able to get help as soon as you can.

Thanks for all your comments and support.

I am feeling a bit better today but still have chest pain and am taking it very easy but have started on a small dose of propranolol In the night my hr dropped to 42 - but only briefly a couple of times.

I have rang my GP in England and am waiting for his advise. We now have the number to phone for the water ambulance if things get bad again.

Like a lot of things with pots - i will just have to stay calm and know that this will pass. Maybe now i will get to the bottom of this - i have spent a long time trying to get someone to listen -like a lot of people and even now i am not sure whether afib completely covers quite what happens?

I am now really frightened about my flight home in 18 days - i cannot bring myself to look up contra indications to flying - i have had so many bad episodes in the past.

Just really grateful this site exists.

Thanks.

Hi Emma,

I have the same fears and also have to remind myself that tomorrow things can be better. It's hard to shift your thought process when you feel as though you are in a state of crisis. I too have bad days and wonder what's next.. Hang in there!

Anyway--- wanted to share a story with you real quick. My fiancé has A-fib and has had it for well over 10 years. He has rec'd two surgical ablations and is now able to control it with one medication now. Before his surgeries, he was given a device (kind of like a super mini ekg machine) that recorded his electrical currents and sent them to his doctor. I remember him doing this pretty frequently. He was shocked twice to try to get back into a normal rhythm but he would end up with the a-fib back shortly thereafter. It wasn't until he saw the EP's at a major university that he finally put an end to all that. We go back annually and the medical advances they have made from the year previously is really encouraging.

I think you sound like an awesomely strong person and you seem so determined despite the challenges. Even though I personally cant identify with the pots + a-fib, I know what I go through w/ my hyper pots and can't imagine adding afib. I hope your GP has been able to help. lots of luck :)

Thanks Sarah, they are very kind words. I am probably coming to terms with this additional diagnosis but it has really upset me. It is reassuring to hear about your partner - i am really pleased for him that it is under control.

I am feeling a bit better now and have booked to see my cardi privately as soon as i get back to the uk. It is shocking that i feel i have been forced into a position to pay for care but otherwise nothing seems to happen.

I think from your posts you are quite new here and i hope you find some help with your symptoms and reassurance here too.

Cheers.