Swimming- Various Theories Why Its Almost Miraculous Therapy For Some

spinner

I know we dont give medical advice here, but we can recount personal experiences anyway. Swimming is the one time during my day when i feel almost completely normal as long as its COLD water. Some of these health clubs including mine have the water going up to the late eighties, which is WAY too warm. I like it cold. Other theories of mine on why swimming is best

--antigravity aerobics

--lends itself to steady exertion not sudden

--pressure on the body

--cools core temp

--vasodilation issues

--possibly involves less adrenaline than other sports

--is ideal for many who or somewhat overweight ( I see lots of chubby people doing the

breaststroke which is a slow steady exertion, and then rest, and repeat)

--regulates breathing of various nervous systems (like yoga breathing)

---?????Im sure there are other benefits, im interested in yours

I like swimming too and swim on a weekly base at rehab. Though I prefer cooler water (like you mention) I need to be watched over which isn't possible in a normal setting. What I find strange is that when I haven't been able to go for a few weeks I experience a huge pressure when I first get in the water again. It makes me even get out of the pool and try again a few times until my body can handle the pressure. At that point I'm okay again!

I've never swam for help with this condition, but I did do water therapy with my last knee surgery, and it was amazing. I got just as good a workout from that, as I would have using weights and such. And it was so gentle, and I enjoyed it! It didn't feel like torture. I guess maybe I need to invest in a swimsuit again and try it for my POTS as well, because what I truly want to do (bike riding and running), are currently a no-go.

yeah, giving up my running and tennis was a little hard. But then again, im over 50 so probably a good

time to quit pounding the knees.

I strive for an hours easy steady workout, biking, swimming, walking now.

Nothing that pumps my BP suddenly.

Swimming is clearly the best as it gives the other benefits.

It stinks when they heat up a perfectly good pool though. Like swimming in a jacuzzi

Corina,

You mentioned the pressure, that is my problem. I am afraid to go in the water, because I felt awful when I did. My whole body got that intense pressure feeling like I was being compressed and my bp went up so high. (I have high bp problems, not low). I had the same reaction when I tried compression stockings.

How do you get over those feelings and get in the water?

If it doesnt help i dont push myself to do anything. Just because it helps one doesnt mean it will help another is my thinking.

I pay close attention to my level of dizziness and weakness. If it spikes I stop doing what im doing rather than get

into a situation that pushes me into a flare.

The newbies here are probably learning that, but we all have to keep learning it.

The only exception is when im trying to test the waters to see if i can do better after some medicine or supplement

change.

Corina, a lap belt of good quality will keep you floating near the surface of the water and prevent that heavy

pressure. Also, when i say swimming, i dont mean the all out thing, i mean a slow steady comfortable

movement in antigravity with cold water. Water aerobics or just walking in a shallow pool is just fine f0r many.

I like swimming too and swim on a weekly base at rehab. Though I prefer cooler water (like you mention) I need to be watched over which isn't possible in a normal setting. What I find strange is that when I haven't been able to go for a few weeks I experience a huge pressure when I first get in the water again. It makes me even get out of the pool and try again a few times until my body can handle the pressure. At that point I'm okay again!

Swimming is the only exercise I can manage to sustain. I always feel great when getting out like ive gotten a good cardiac workout without all the horrible sensations/symptoms I feel if I was to attempt even 10mins in the gym. The slow steady pace with the water taking the weight of my body seems to be the key.

Also I suffer from bad asthma other exercises tend to bring it on. Swimming is excellent for controling asthma as you hold you breath under the water and it reduces the amount of over mouth breathing/blowing off of CO2 that you get with other exercise!

Thanks Spinner!

Joann I usually go in (walking) as far as possible, when the pressure gets unbearable I go out, wait a few minutes and try again. It needs several tries before I'm comfortable (I think about 5). I also need to go out to use the bathroom 2 or 3 times in an hour. I've been told that is due to the pressure as well. I'm hypo so I thought the pressure would be of help instead of working against me :)