Levsin/hyoscyamine

Anoj

My doc wants to put me on this, specifically for vagal "control." Anyone ever heard of this??? I haven't. I'm hesitant to take it. I'm afraid it will make me loopy and/or "stopped up." (I have those tendencies.) Again, this is not for IBS but vagal control.

Guest Hanice

Anything that says this http://www.drugs.com/sfx/levsin-side-effects.html would make ME not want to take it. Someone in the forum just told me about this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_serotonin_reuptake_inhibitorthe worst thing about it that I can find is a "mild" elevated hr and possible panick attacks which compared to the first one is much better.

I have taken it but not for some years. I know I wasn't able to drive when I took it though. My husband used to take it a lot. He has many symptoms with and without meds so I couldn't tell you how it really affected him. Also when my son was a baby, he cried pretty much non stop. When they finally decided it probably wasn't just colik, they gave him Levsin drops and be relaxed and became very pleasant!

I take it when I have GI spasms--stomach and intestines--and I use the sublingual version. The only thing I notice for me is that I get a bit of dry mouth. It doesn't make me sleepy, which one of the others in this class of meds has done to me (bentyl makes me dry mouth, sleepy and constipated). Levsin is short acting--a couple of hours--so that's a nice thing if there are side effects, they'll be pretty short lived.

Like nearly EVERY treatment out there, it's typically trial and error to find something that works for YOU. This med works for ME, but not for everyone.

Nina

Well, I looked up anticholinergic (which is what Levsin is), and here is what i found:

Anticholinergics inhibit parasympathetic nerve impulses (I have hyper POTS. Wouldn't you want a med that blocks sympathetic nerve impulses?)

Medical and recreational uses:

Acute Anticholinergic Syndrome:

• Diminished bowel movement, sometimes ileus (decreases motility via the vagus nerve)

So, obviously, this med has some affect on the vagus nerve??