Best Meds For Extreme Heat Intolerance?

spinner

Man what an Idiot I am. First summer out of South Carolina here in 20+ years and I was sure it would be easier. Instead discovered northern Ohio to an absolute swamp----75 percent humid, no airflow, hot blaring sun instead of "lake effect" clouds, .....in general like living in the bayou in july. Ironically to "compensate" for the cold winters they blast 80 degrees into their homes, hospitals, schools and most buildings in the winter, usually natural gas, which instantly dehydrates you.

Im going back to cleveland clinic after them checking my thryoid numbers again, but what meds help anyone? Ive heard of fluorinef, lyrica, potassium, etc. but is there a specific med developed for DA or hypothalmus patients that help prevent vasodilation?

Im ready to go the chemical route here. Im also getting a cooling vest finally. September is going to be my best friend. Im the only soul around who loves FREEZING cold and being outside in it. Gatorade, salt, is helping in the meantime but im not going to tough this out anymore because im constantly flaring.

Im trying to decide on a cooling vest based on easy use, comfort, cost etc.

Can you break down how you selected your particular one, what the limitations are, for example do

you feel hot/sick in other parts of your body than your abdomen?

Do they work for 4 hours or more?

What level of heat can they handle?

What about direct sunlight?

How much of a hassle is wearing the vest?

My choice was made easy for me. I had purchased an item for my daughter and had to return it for credit. The lady recommended this vest for me http://www.shop.com/Techniche_6529XXLSilver_XXLarge_HyperKewl_Evaporative_Standard_Sports_Cooling_Vest_Silver-823661466-838337842-p+.xhtml?sourceid=1414

because many riders are using them and it's inexpensive.

No I don't think they last 4 hours. These are activated by getting them wet. You can re-wet if needed to reactivate.

They are supposed to reduce your core temp by 5 degrees or more.

Direct sunlight is fine.

I don't find it a problem to wear the vest at all.

If you haven't tried Florinef I would give it an honest shot. I am also a vasodilator and its been one of the best meds for me. I actually just had to restart it recently because I crashed pretty hard and my POTS went into full swing again :( ....... my body for whatever reason just won't hold the sodium and water and I was swelling up pretty bad (I actually found it interesting you can swell from being dehydrated and low sodium....weird). Also, antihistamines have been helpful as they do slightly constrict the blood vessels. This has been a better summer for me than last summer which kept me pretty much inside lying down :( ..... hang in there :) hope you get some relief..... Fall can't come soon enough!

Bren

Hi Spinner,

I have been keeping myself well refrigerated this summer. I'm slightly farther north than you, and you're right with all the lakes around, 90's and humidity is not the picture you get when you think of the north!

Now today it's cool for some reason and my BP is 100/70 without taking anything to bring it up :D It's going to be a good day! I have always felt better in the fall, cool air, yet the furnace hasn't gone on yet, and of course at that time of year the allergies have subsided.

I think I may also look into a cooling vest for the warmer months. As it is, when I go out I always throw a wet cloth into a plastic bag to take along. When I start feeling wacky, the wet cloth on my face and neck make me feel more coherent. If it's real hot, I bring an ice pack for my face and neck, this snaps me back pretty quick.

I hope you find some relief.

Hope