Abnormal Pulmonary Function Tests

Agreeky

I have posted before about my problems breathing. I know a lot of other people here have issues too. Reading old posts though I see most of them have normal breathing tests. I do not... Both my tests indicated upper airway obstruction. And all my lung volumes reduced from March to May. I am really scared. My ent checked down my throat and it looked normal? Lung doc confused... My old fear of MSA is creeping up and consuming me again. Especially because of my sleep apnea too.. Anybody have any advice or similar situation??

I also had significant problems breathing...although a neg lung function test. I was given hydrocortisone for adrenal fatigue. And 2.5mg would take the breathing problem away immediately for me. It didn't cure all my symptoms but it would temporarily eliminate the breathing issue on my bad days. I was cautious about using HC as it's very controversial for the diagnosis of adrenal fatigue but it worked for me. Good luck

My son failed his lung test in the very beginning when his POTS symptoms were at their worst. He was in the hospital and nobody could tell us why it was happening. They said he failed due to lack of effort. I think it was because he was wore out and muscles were just not working properly. The vagus nerve is also in that area so his ans was probably just too stressed and not functioning well. He has never had anymore breathing problems and he has been checked for asthma. Have you been checked for asthma? Could it be sinus causing problems?

Haven't gotten the results of my pulmonary function tests yet, but pretty sure it won't be normal. The guy kept making me do it again and again, convinced I must have more air left in my lungs and wasn't blowing it out. Maybe I did, but I was certainly exhaling as much as I possibly could. They gave me an inhaler and made me do it again, and again, and no difference. I get shortness of breath, chest wall pains and reflux/vomiting a LOT; pretty sure my diaphragm is weak as crap or worn out. My blood oxygen levels were fine throughout though, though my heart rate was tachycardic as usual when I've been upright too long.

I've heard other people with pots say their pulmonary function tests were abnormal.

Looneymom thanks for the response. I do have fluid in my sinuses and constant nasal drip. They did not menrtion this to be a problem. They did not mention asthma only upper airway obstruction. They gave me an inhaler during the test and it did not make a difference. Worried it could point towards neurological. Freaked sorry to hear you did not have an easy time. My blood oxygen is always normal too. I check it at home all the time too. Acid reflux could cause breathing problems too. Let me know your results!

I've been having breathing problems of late and am so thoroughly tired of going to doctors, that I have chosen to make an educated guess as to what it is.

In my case, I know I have a severe hiatal hernia, so I am guessing that might have something to do with my shortness of breath problems. With my diaphragm having a weak spot, it allows the stomach to push up into the chest cavity.

I also will be seeing my cardiologist in a few weeks, and will discuss with him my problems. I also want to ask him about the beginning of pulmonary hypertension that showed up on my heart echocardiogram.

Anyhow, I can relate to being nervous and not knowing what is going on.

I've been this way for so long, and have not gotten any answers. It is tiresome going from doctor to doctor, so I am currently in the middle of a break from them all. But, I can certainly relate. I also would like to know what is going on, and have a doctor fix it if possible.

I am so sick of the doctors too futurehope. I used to eagerly go to the doctors for help, now I know better. I tried to take a little break for a little while. It is draining on my finances as well. I have a small hiatal hernia I got told, but I definitely think it causes me symptoms. I can feel the pain when I eat and drink. I do not know anymore!