Ladies: Question For You

jknh9

Men can look at this too, although it won't apply :)

I've developed an issue this year and I'm wondering if it's POTS-related and/or meds-related or something else altogether. Since January, I've missed three periods. One in January, and then the last two in a row. I'm 28 and my body has always been like clockwork, so I am freaked out. I've taken a bunch of pregnancy tests and all have been negative. I also have no pregnancy symptoms. I'm on the pill and recently switched to a progestin-only version because I've had migraines with aura. I only switched a couple of weeks ago, so this isn't related to that. I did start Wellbutrin in early January, right before this began, but I'm only taking 37.5 mg and I'm not sure that that med would cause this. My gyno doesn't seem to be concerned but it's really worrisome for me.

Have any of you had this experience? Could this be POTS-related? Is this something to worry about? :unsure:

Jknh9 I have had weird period issues too. My last 3 periods have been extremely short. They used to always last 6 days now it is barely 3. I have never had issues with this before. I am on not POTS meds. I am very worried I will not be able to have kids because of all this. I am seeing the gyno in July. Not much help sorry.

Agreeky, I'm sorry to hear you're having weird issues too, although it helps to hear someone else with dysautonomia has had similar symtoms. Last fall I had a couple of really light, short ones like that, whereas before I was 5-7 days, always. The thought has crossed my mind that it could be something like super early menopause, but I'm a worrier by nature and I'm hoping I'm overreacting. It is perplexing, though.

Have you lost weight? If you are thin your periods can lessen, plus stress can do many crazy things to your body. My cycle has actually become more regular than ever since I have been battling this. But I am having other odd things, I am a bit older than you both are and I am having grey hair coming in like crazy and hair loss. I have been told this is because of the stress on my body. When ever, am feeling bad, I lose more hair! So anything is possible. Also you may need to check your iron and vitamin levels.

When I had my sudden onset of POTS my period stopped for 3 months. I had never missed a period before so it was pretty concerning for me. I kept telling the Doctors that it wasn't normal for me, but they said it was stressed related.

Everything is back to normal now, I hope it does for you too. It is always comforting to know you are not alone!

If you do a websearch for "wellbutrin side effects missing periods" you will get quite a few hits, so it's possible that you're dealing with some side effects.

I had the exact opposite of what you're dealing with while on florinef (very heavy periods every 3 weeks) - after I came off it I had proof that it was responsible for that.

Best,

Alex

Thanks guys!

Alex-- yes, I have seen information on that, but I didn't think it was likely since I'm on such a low dose. My doctor agreed with me. Still, I wonder...

Joann-- yes, I have lost a little weight this year, but not a huge amount. I'm right in the healthy weight zone for age and body type (5'7" and about 132 lbs) so I wouldn't think it would be that. However, I have upped my exercise routine and frequency this year. I will also try to check my iron and vitamin levels as you suggested. My mom has a serious iron deficiency, so I wonder if there is a genetic component. Also, I've noticed I've been losing quite a bit of hair lately. I didn't think I was that stressed, but I have been hating my job lately :( Maybe it's a combination of things.

badhbt-- I'm glad it has worked itself out for you :) It really does help to know you're not alone! I'm taking a camping vacation soon, so maybe that will help with any stress.

My periods are all over the place. They have always been miserable and heavy, but lately they have been very short but still miserable and heavy. I also have a longer cycle than average so I almost always have about 40-45 days between periods. My doctor says that's fine but it does make it harder to keep track of. I think that my level of activity affects my cycle a lot, the shorter periods line right up with when I started exercising.

And Joann, I also have gray hair coming in and I'm only 20! My hair thinned when I was iron deficient but it all has grown back since I have been correcting that. I get iron deficiency during and after my periods but my levels are normal other times.

I am on birth control and didn't get my period for a year after my I hit POTS rock bottom. I am talking absolutely NOTHING.

The first cycle, I attributed it to stress and weight loss. Depending on if I was in a vomiting phase or not, I weighed 10-15 pounds less than my previous "normal weight", but still at the lowest end of my healthy range.

After the second cycle,again, I attributed it to stress and weight loss. I was upset my body seemed to feel it could not carry a baby. While it was correct -- carrying a baby would have been a disaster, it was a sad truth to face as a newly engaged woman.

After the third cycle, I finally went to the doctor. She said if I missed one more, to come back and she would do an ultrasound of my stomach. Her guess was that the reason was because I am so sick. She said it was good I came in rather than just assuming it was another random symptom because sometimes a missed period can be a sign of something serious.

I have been doing a bit better lately, especially with the vomiting and I finally got it back last cycle. I am on Seasonale so only get it every 3 months, so it had actually been 12 months since I'd last had my period. I got it right on time and have never been more happy for my time of the month!!