G.i. Issues

Natops

Hello, I suffer from autoimmune POTS. I have SFN. Weakness. Pain. Autoantibody. So in just the last two week I have developed G.I. issues. I saw on this site some of the symptoms of dysautonomia - (Delayed gastric emptying, Bloating after meals, Abdominal pain, Constipation) and it fit me like a glove.

Was wondering if any of you knew some good links to the medical literature on dysautonomia and G.I. issues. What are some of the things you do to cope with G.I. issues?

Ask your doctor about magnesium citrate. If you have not had your magnesium levels checked, this might be a good start also. My son takes this this supplement everyday to help with constipation.

http://journals.lww.com/jpgn/Fulltext/2005/04000/Gastrointestinal_Symptoms_Associated_with.5.aspx

Gastrointestinal Symptoms Associated with Orthostatic Intolerance

http://journals.lww.com/jpgn/Fulltext/2008/03000/Orthostatic_Intolerance_and_Gastrointestinal.8.aspx

Orthostatic Intolerance and Gastrointestinal Motility in Adolescents With Nausea and Abdominal Pain

Also if you search the forums I have posted other articles on GI issues associated with dysautonomia.

I will try looking for them and provide links to you later on tonight.

The above articles are aimed at children/adolescents, but I hope they will help you.

Alex

Hi Natops, I have found a combination of Pyridostygmine and Domperidone to be the most effective drug therapies for me so far. It's not perfect, but so much better than before. Good luck with finding what works for you, these symptoms are such a big part of the overall experience, if you can improve them, quality of life is so much better. Take care!

Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience in this area. Fortunately, I've got it fairly under control these days. Here is what I do.

• I eat small, spaced out meals.
  • I consume tons of water and broth first thing in the morning as well as eat plenty of fruits/veggies throughout the day to keep myself regular. My body already seems to have a difficult time with digestion, so I like to keep things moving along.
  • I try and avoid difficult to digest foods such as meat. For me it is also difficult to digest dairy, egg, soy, and gluten (IgG testing). Ever since I quit eating meat, I don't get abdominal pain any more.
  • I take Ginger Root (550mg) for an upset stomach or with at least one meal a day.
  • I take probiotics to make my gut as happy of a place as it can be. I've had most success with Orthobiotics Probiotic. It's multi-strain. Everyone has a different gut environment so find what works for you.
  • When I eat anything except a small meal, or choose to eat difficult to digest foods, I take a digestive enzyme to help my body with breaking down the food. (I love Source Naturals Daily Essential Enzymes).
  • When I get gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying) I take Reglan 10mg. It forces the stomach to empty more rapidly. It works for some.
  • When I get to the point of almost vomiting and ginger has failed me, I take a Phenegran. Zofran tends to have less side effects, but for some reason did nothing for me. Phenegran makes me feel very drugged, but it is better than severe dehydration and 5 night hospital stays.
  • If I do vomit, I go to the hospital to get IV fluids to avoid a downward spiral that will land me in the hospital overnight. I used to have to go through the ER for fluids (I'd take a journal article explaining POTS). Now my doctor just has a standing order and I can go to an infusion room which is where people who get IV antibiotics and IV chemo go.