Pots And Eating

Freaked

I'm finding dinner tough going these days. I feel way better when I eat a lot, but while I'm eating big meals I start getting sweaty and reflux and sometimes skipped beats. I know eating big meals is a problem for a lot of people with dysautonomia, but it feels very scary sometimes. Anyone else get palps from big meals?

I can't eat a big meal. Although I can graze on smaller ones all through the day (no loss of appetite that's for sure). However when I eat I sit on the couch and lie a little reclined. Most of the time this helps prevent gut pain. If I sit up straight and eat I will usually get gut pain. Not so for fluids. I do have gi issues (chronic constipation).

blue

Thanks for the replies; it seems a lot of us have different probs with eating. I was sort of hoping that for me, the sweating was due to the effort of digestion (I've always had hyperhidrosis and these days I sweat whenever I'm standing), and the reflux was affecting the vagus nerve and giving me the skips. Still scary though; I keep thinking of those movies where the overweight bald man gets all sweaty and complains of heartburn and has a heart attack at the dinner table. I'm a normal weight 21 year old girl so it feels weird to be getting all sweaty and indigestiony after a meal :-/

I rarely eat large meals for this reason. I just eat one piece of a meal (beans/ some fruit/ a piece of bread/ half an avocado) every 2 hours or so. If I do eat a large meal, I take digestive enzymes so my stomach has an easier time digesting and can get the food out of there more quickly. My favorite combo enzyme pill is Source Naturals Daily Essential Enzymes. I pop one of those and sit in the recliner for an hour after a large meal.

I gave myself esophogitis from laying down right after drinking acidic drinks or eating. It makes it too easy for the food to get back up into the throat which is why I now go to the recliner instead.

If I WAY overdo it and its a flare up day... hours later, I can still feel the food just sitting. I then know I've delved into gastroparesis territory and take a Reglan to force my stomach to empty.