Nausea Caused By Migraines?

Racer

In my journey to try to cure my nausea/vomiting, my doctor referred me to a gastroenterologist, who suggested I see a neurologist. These doctors sort of came to the same conclusion, that because I have a mild headache most days, that the nausea MUST be caused by migraines.

I do experience migraines with a aura on occasion, and it is defiantly possible that my nausea is from migraines I guess. The issue I have is that they seem to just jump to this conclusion. Surely a person could have headaches/migraines and nausea caused by a different issue related to autonomic dysfunction? Is there any tests to diagnose the cause of nausea?

I was prescribed topamax for this. If it doesn't help the nausea, is this normal for people to take this for daily headaches alone?

An endoscopy and a motility test are the only tests I can think of to figure out other causes. Topamax is a migraine preventative (as well as an antiseizure Med). Don't be surprised if you have side effects from it. Many of us on this forum have tried topamax and couldn't deal with the side effects. I now take Depakote (also an antiseizure Med that is prescribed as a migraine preventative) and I am doing well on it. I still have breakthrough migraines but not as many. I had severe GI issues that no one could explain or control. Within 2 weeks of being on the Depakote, they had disappeared. I eventually was told it might be abdominal migraines and that's probably why the Depakote was helping.

My son took Topamax as a migraine preventative in the 7th grade. His migraines stopped immediately, but his nausea increased at that time and has never gone away. For a while they thought he may still be having silent migraines, but now I don't know what causes his nausea. There were many side effects from the Topamax so he had to stop taking it. He has had every GI test imaginable and they all came back fine, except the first gastric emptying test. The second test showed his stomach emptied fine. By ruling out the GI issues, they believe his nausea is neurological.

I've had nausea associated with migraines forever. I also take topomax (topirimate) as a daily preventative for migraines. I seem to tolerate it fine but worked up slowly on the dose. The nausea has been better but not sure if that's from the topirimate or the mast cell cocktail (including gastrocrom) as they were both started relatively close together. The number of migraines/headaches I get is MUCH less on the topirimate so I've been content to stay on it.

I remember long before I had POTS being told by a massage therapist who had quite a knowledge of oriental medicine to pay attention and I would probably notice that more often than not, my nausea proceeded the migraine starting. I always thought it was the migraine triggering the nausea but he said in TCM they believe that it's the gut dysfunction that causes the migraine. I was surprised, when I paid attention to it, how often it seemed that he was correct.

Hope you get some relief.