Quick Question For Those With Mcad/mcas. What Kind Of Doctor Do You See?

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out what kind of doctor to hunt down to help me with ongoing allergic reactions. Now that spring allergy season is running strong in my area, I'm one big allergic mess, and my stomach and sinuses are continuing issues all year long.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Immunology is the place to start, mention that you would like to be checked for mast cell issues...tryptase, prostoglandins...

there are experts in MCAD like Dr. Castells in Boston, Dr. Afrin in SC.

Here's a Link to the Mastocytosis Society website. The key is to be seen by a hematologist or immunologist who understands MCAS. Any of the members of the medical advisory board of this organization would be in the know.

Most allergist/immunologist are not up to date on MCAS and the research currently being done. If a doc just wants to run a serum tryptase or a urinary methyl histamine that is a red flag they are not up to date.

http://www.tmsforacure.org/patients/patients.php

Thanks guys... appreciate all the ideas...and the link to the Mastocytosis site. I have an appointment today with my GI doc at U of Penn, and I will be advocating for him to put me on gastrochrom in order to treat the inflamation he keeps finding upon testing.

Thanks--I have a long history of anaphylaxis, multiple medication allergies, and I've been on proton pump inhibitors, singulair, and zyrtec for many many years. I also can't survive without benadryl each day.

My appointment with my gastro went pretty well. He agreed to read the articles I brought with me and said "I think your ideas on this are very reasonable". Apparently he knows another doctor at his hospital that deals with mast cell issues, so he's going to run my case by him and we're supposed to connect via my online health account (we can email securely there) in about 3 weeks with his thoughts.

BTW, the past few weeks have been BRUTAL with allergies. I'm back on symbacort and the big mama jama nebulizer, rinsing sinuses 2x a day with hypertonic solution just to keep on top of the infection that's giving me bronchitis and aggravated the asthma that's been under control for years--I went off Advair more than a year ago. Ugh. Tree pollen is supposed to peak this week and then I hope to be in the clear for a while. (would be nice, anyway)

So sorry you are so miserable. The H1 and H2's not helping much? Did you try NasalCrom it can be gotten at Walmart. It is a mast cell stabilizer but is a very weak one. It is the same med as GastroCrom - just lots weaker. Before I got GastroCrom - I used it and it did seem to help. It has been a miserable year here in AZ too with lots of pollen and high allergy issues. I use an herbal that seems to help give me the extra boost when mine are so bad. One by Solaray called Respiration. It does have licorice in it - so be aware that it could increase your bp. It seems to help me and helps to clear up some of the stuffiness and I can breathe better when I use it. It will vasoconstrict - so be aware of that. Hope you feel better soon.

Issie

I hear you MightyMouse! I am so glad it's supposed to start raining tomorrow night!! I am on H1 and H2, allergy shots and now Xolair shots and my seasonal allergies have been ridiculous. Even my stomach is acting up from it. Docs are afraid to try any sort of steroids since I reacted so badly the last go round and even though I don't have asthma, I feel like I'm suffocating half the time but we're afraid to see if albuterol inhalers help that because of the tahcycardia. This is such a crazy ride...I'd like to get off now, please! Lol!

Oh my my--another bad allergy day. My eyes are bright red and running like little faucets. Yeah, H1 and H2 are on board 24/7 and singulair too. I'm looking forward to the rain tomorrow for a relatively easier day. OY.

I have to pick up Rx's today at Target so I'll see if they carry the nasal chrom--I used it in the past, and can't recall if it helped me back then--perhaps not so much b/c at the time, it was before I was on zyrtec all year long.