Itching After Massage...

Darlene

Darlene,

I've experienced something similar shortly after I came off klonopin so I chalked that up to benzo withdrawal. It was relatively short lived in my case, it went away on its own in 8 weeks or so.

Sorry you're dealing with this. Can it have anything to do with mast cells reactions? Maybe some benadryl can help?

Hope you feel better soon.

Alex

I'm not sure why the nails or cat nails would cause such pain for you but the itching after a massage is completely normal!! I don't know the technical explanation but something to do with the massage/circulation/nervous system.

I've been going to a chiropractor and for the physical therapy portion they make you get on this vibration plate that basically does just that, it vibrates, causing your entire body to shake (side note: not good for POTSys) but it makes me itchy and the nurse says it's because it is affecting your nervous system causing it to release hormones, etc.

Yes. I have both these issues and suspect they are different reactions.

I suspect the massage stimulates my parasympathetic system which releases histamines- especially in mylegs- I also tend to get a lot of salivation during, following massage.

Am allergic to cats but we have a hamster and I get the same feeling sometimes. when I am symptomatic I can't hold paper in my hands bc it feels like I'm holding a razor blad- hurts. Can't shave legs either during these times- like I'm cutting myself. Suspect this is simply sensory integration issues when sympathetic system is overstimulated.